Sign Stand Offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

laketime

A client wants me to mount a acrylic sign for them on the side of a building that will have a light shining behind it. The sign will need to be help off the wall by about 4-6". It is outside and is a wet location. Any ideas of something to stand the sign off the wall that looks good and will stand up to rain and snow?

kwired

Electron manager
You may need to find a way around 600.3 to be able to do this install.

600.3 Listing.

Electric signs, section signs, and outline lighting ? fixed, mobile, or portable ? shall be listed and installed in conformance with that listing, unless otherwise approved by special permission.

the last phrase may be a way around it.

laketime

well it is technically not an electric sign, it is a piece of acrylic we are going to mount to the wall. then mount a separate light behind it

growler

A client wants me to mount a acrylic sign for them on the side of a building that will have a light shining behind it. The sign will need to be help off the wall by about 4-6". It is outside and is a wet location. Any ideas of something to stand the sign off the wall that looks good and will stand up to rain and snow?

It really will depend on how big and how heavy the sign is. If you need a special bracket made don't be afraid of going to a welding shop. They can probably build something that looks good out of aluminum or steel or whatever you want.

You will need to get a sign permit and the first thing I would check is to make sure this sign will meet local sign requirements. They normally have specs. that have to be met.

satcom

It really will depend on how big and how heavy the sign is. If you need a special bracket made don't be afraid of going to a welding shop. They can probably build something that looks good out of aluminum or steel or whatever you want.

You will need to get a sign permit and the first thing I would check is to make sure this sign will meet local sign requirements. They normally have specs. that have to be met.

You bet, without the sign permits in some areas you are in for a real trip, the fines alone are scary, we have one strip in the area that had signs going up and coming down like under pants, sign too bright, sigh too high, sign not in right location, no permits for sign, no inspection for sign.

jmellc

Occupation
Facility Maintenance Tech. Licensed Electrician
You bet, without the sign permits in some areas you are in for a real trip, the fines alone are scary, we have one strip in the area that had signs going up and coming down like under pants, sign too bright, sigh too high, sign not in right location, no permits for sign, no inspection for sign.
Amen to that. My city/county has sign ordinances out the wazoo. We have over 43,000 unserved arrest warrants and 10% of our parolees absconded. But our politicos do make sure no one has an illegal sign. I feel so much safer. Have a warm fuzzy and pass it along.

masterinbama

I was repairing some perimeter lighting at a local bar and grill. Sign "Cop" saw my truck and stopped. The owner had some vinyl signs from the local beer vendor on the side of the building. Her husband had mounted them by using screws and fender washers through the grommet holes. He gave them a 24 hour notice to properly attach the signs. He had to remove the screws and washers place screw hooks in the wall and reattach it with short bungee cords. I just glad I was smart enough to tell him the lights I was working on were for security.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Can you make something out of steel and then paint it up? If asthetics aren't a concern, you may just want to build it out of strut and strut brackets like Rewire said.

krisinjersey

Check McMaster

Check McMaster

McMaster Carr has standoffs that are male/female thread so you can screw them togther to get your spacing. THen just put a thunder bolt into the wall and thread it on to that. Next attach the acrylic with some cap nuts to eliminate the threaded edge on the standoff.

Status
Not open for further replies.