Signage Lighting 120 or 277

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizabrao

Hello--I have run across a problem twice in the last 2 weeks. The GC on projects I'm working on have wired sites with 277v. The signage contractor I work with is suggesting we absolutely need 120v for the ballasts for high fluorescent tubing or LED lighting. Is our only option step-down transformers, or do we have fluorescent tubing and LED lighting options with 277v ballasts?

ultramegabob

Hello--I have run across a problem twice in the last 2 weeks. The GC on projects I'm working on have wired sites with 277v. The signage contractor I work with is suggesting we absolutely need 120v for the ballasts for high fluorescent tubing or LED lighting. Is our only option step-down transformers, or do we have fluorescent tubing and LED lighting options with 277v ballasts?

It would be best to start your own thread to get the responses you want, but to answer your question, yes fluorescent sign ballasts are available in 277, I havent done much with LED but I would imagine it is available also.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Weclome to the forum! :)

Who is the designer/engineer? This stuff should have been sorted out before construction even began. There are 120v sources on the site, like for receptacles, aren't there?

Mr. Bill

Signage contractors are used to doing things their way, which means nothing has changed in 20 years. I still see T12 specified for all back lighting in signs.

Fluorescent and LED is available in either 120V or 277V. But not from every manufacturer.
1. Try to work with this signage contractor to get the ballast and driver for their signs at 277V.
2. Find another signage contractor who will work with you and find something that will work at 277V.
3. Take the lighting out of the signage contractors scope and pick out your own lighting that will work and is available at 277V.
4. Or finally, manage to work something out to provide the 120V power as requested.

Here's an example of an exterior LED spot light at either 120V or 277V.
http://www.acuitybrandslighting.com...Sheets/Accent/Accent Lighting/4640_KM_LED.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.