silly transformer question

Status
Not open for further replies.

electricalperson

if i have a 480 volt delta to 120/208 3 phase wye transformer. normally it gets 480 to the H terminals. what would happen if someone would to hook it up to the X terminals instead? would you get 240 volt delta?

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
if i have a 480 volt delta to 120/208 3 phase wye transformer. normally it gets 480 to the H terminals. what would happen if someone would to hook it up to the X terminals instead? would you get 240 volt delta?
Your question is not clear, to me, as to what is being connected to the X terminals.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
If you connected 480V to the X terminals of the transformer, then the transformer would _try_ to produce about 1100V at the H terminals. However what would really happen is that the transformer core would saturate big time and you would get lots of magnetizing current flow, and things would burn up pretty quickly.

-Jon

electricalperson

If you connected 480V to the X terminals of the transformer, then the transformer would _try_ to produce about 1100V at the H terminals. However what would really happen is that the transformer core would saturate big time and you would get lots of magnetizing current flow, and things would burn up pretty quickly.

-Jon

thank you:) it was just a question that popped in my head and i tried to think of an answer. appreciate your help :)

drbond24

You would then be using the transformer as a step-up instead of a step-down. As a step-up, it has a winding ratio of 480/208=2.31 (I don't want to hear anything from you significant digits guys :D). That means that anything you put on the low side will get multiplied by 2.31 on the high side. 480*2.31=1109 V.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
You would then be using the transformer as a step-up instead of a step-down. As a step-up, it has a winding ratio of 480/208=2.31 (I don't want to hear anything from you significant digits guys :D). That means that anything you put on the low side will get multiplied by 2.31 on the high side. 480*2.31=1109 V.

briefly :D

Status
Not open for further replies.