Simple LED Under Cabinet Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm a big fan of the hard wired, line voltage xenon UCL's. They are simple to install, switch, dim, come in various lengths and fixture colors.

I have a kitchen to wire coming up where I recommended xenon. I told them I did not know of any LED type that did not involve remote transformers that take-up cabinet space and various code obstacles in getting them wired.

The customer responded that he has a friend that has LED UCL's that he loves them, and he does not want to be changing bulbs. Rather than look at what his friend used (it could be a DIY mess) I'm looking to see if anybody knows of a LED UCL with the same features mentioned above. The last time I looked I did not find anything

kwired

Electron manager
I like the light from the xenon lamps, but don't like the heat they produce.

I can't name any specific luminaire but am certain I have seen similar looking units to fluorescent or halogen UC lights in an LED version. All I have installed is LED ribbon type lights that can be somewhat custom cut to length, but do need a remote driver mounted someplace. On top of cabinet is often a good place to put them.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Halo makes an LED UC light that is very bright and pretty expensive. The problem with them is that they need an elv dimmer if you want to dim them. You need to buy a small JB that you hard wire and then buy the whips (they come in different lengths) to go from box to light or light to light

electricalist

My brother in law wires custom houses and has installed led over the years for oc and uc. He was rescently telling me they have used a brand called inspire. The driver can run 70' of led before it clips. So thats pretty good for getting the driver to a better location. I dont know this to be a fact. ..good luck.

Jljohnson

Lowes sells a hardwire version, 120 volt that seems to work pretty good. Looks almost identical to the low profile fluorescent units but is LED. Sorry I can't recall the brand name but I have used them and they look nice.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
I installed these recently. Got them at the big box after the customer's supplier failed to supply a suitable unit.

1015169450_260.jpg

Hardwired, individually dimmable, linkable. They are an 1" thick which may be too much for you, but they came out nice with plenty of light.

Juno ull24-wh for the 24" ones.

mkgrady

I installed these recently. Got them at the big box after the customer's supplier failed to supply a suitable unit.

View attachment 11248

Hardwired, individually dimmable, linkable. They are an 1" thick which may be too much for you, but they came out nice with plenty of light.

Juno ull24-wh for the 24" ones.
I'll check those out. I'm thinking 1" thick is as small as they come so I can make them work

steve_p

Be careful with those Junos from the big box store

Be careful with those Junos from the big box store

I bought 5 of those Junos for a job. 3 failed. That internal dimmer was bad out of the box. Called the juno tech support number on the box, the tech informed me that Juno did not make them, just put their name on the box. Only sold at a Big Orange box store.

Was a real pain as the job and the store were 40 miles apart.

Ended up bypassing the internal dimmer.

kwired

Electron manager
I bought 5 of those Junos for a job. 3 failed. That internal dimmer was bad out of the box. Called the juno tech support number on the box, the tech informed me that Juno did not make them, just put their name on the box. Only sold at a Big Orange box store.

Was a real pain as the job and the store were 40 miles apart.

Ended up bypassing the internal dimmer.
That was mighty nice of them, try telling the customer you didn't make them you just put your name on the install:happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.