Simplex Corrective Clock Pluse

Status
Not open for further replies.

schiedjp

Setting -college with 32 buildings. One central 300 amp. signal generator- produces 3510 cycle,placed over the entire ac line for all buildings.Simplex corrective clocks receive the 3510 cycle, on the hour and correct the 120 volt clocks.
Problem- the 3510 cycle pulse is now interfering with the newly installed UPS unites campus wide,even causing them to transfer in some cases.
Question- how can I filter this pulse from the UPS units-without the installation of transformers?

physis

Re: Simplex Corrective Clock Pluse

I used to do secondary clock systems. I'm wondering why the UPS is freaking out. Does the manufacturer have any input? :confused:

ken987

clock manufactures are fun to deal with trouble shot a dc clock system that reversed polarity every 59th min. to sync clocks. called the manf. they wanted to send out their own people.

physis

Simplex is a manufacturer and my guess is this was installed about 40 years (or more) ago and the modulator is rock solid and has been that way from the begining.

schiedjp

You sound like an x simplex person?

[ December 27, 2004, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: schiedjp ]

schiedjp

15 to 20 years ago we used a capacitor,placed at the point of power distribution of the equipment. A male cord end with heat shrink over everything. Crude I reallize but it worked.This was a different generation.If I only knew the value of that cap. Possibley I could install them in the devices. The high end UPS's are not bothered with the signal -so something is there! The signal will not pass through a transformer. I have about 1200 of these $175 dollar clocks in use. I have been instructed to decomition each clock as they fail. Replace with a $20.00 clock- battery or ac, non-sysnronase, I have disbuted this with the boss that this will not work with a College atmosphere-only to lose the battle.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

schiedjp,
Replace with a $20.00 clock- battery or ac, non-sysnronase
Why not replace them with "atomic" clocks? You can get battery or ac powered ones for about $30 and they will be kept in perfect sync by the radio signals from the Naval Observatory. Here is one source.

physis

Actually Simplex was the competition. They made some other stuff I could say with a clear concience wasn't so good but not the master clock systems.

I would imagine a 12db per octace filter would fix it. I think Tripplet make some fairly inexepensively.

The capacitor isn't such a cheesy idea. Try a 0.1uf, make sure it's rated for a couple thousand volts or more.

The atomic clock idea's a good one too.

The administration people in schools like all the clocks to match but you'll find that a lot of the secondary clocks haven't been working right for a while anyway so they're more open to being weened off of the master clock system.

physis

Not so long ago things weren't bothered by these modulators. I haven't done that stuff in ten years. I'm sure with the advent of really underdesigned so called equipment there are more problems than there ought to be.

Also, now days the idea of injecting what is essentially noise into the AC is, messy.

dereckbc

Staff member

Originally posted by physis:
:confused:
There are many inexpensive wireless GPS clocks availible on the market. The inexpensive ones operate at Stratum level 3, good enough for calibration labs. They come in both AC & DC powered models.

physis

Thanks Bob :)

The clock on their web page is keeping time too.

Status
Not open for further replies.