Since recessed lights have inaccessible connections, how do they pass code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

and hopefully the owners won't be back till you clean it up.

I stepped through a ceiling once and was able to apologize to the owner & my boss as they looked up at me through hole left by the dangling sheetrock (~ 1/2 sheet). It is amazing how much coverage you can get on some carpet and furniture with just a little insulation.

And if in kitchen all over counters and food.
Had a brother inlaw working for me once. He thought he could walk on drywall. Luckily in garage and patch man made no big deal over it. Brother inlaw is in prison (not for that) Safer for him there as a few in family want to kill him.

mivey

And if in kitchen all over counters and food.
Had a brother inlaw working for me once. He thought he could walk on drywall. Luckily in garage and patch man made no big deal over it. Brother inlaw is in prison (not for that) Safer for him there as a few in family want to kill him.
Inlaws/outlaws. I have a few I might strangle if family get-togethers lasted much longer than they do.

mxslick

To get this back on topic before the mod squad goes ballistic....

Ok, so you can take the can out to get to the j-box.

Now what do you do about the wire which, if done properly, is secured (stapled) close to the j-box? How do you maneuver the box around to get to the connections?

(I have only dealt with remodel cans so far....easy enough to release them to access the connections, and obviously the cable is not stapled down close to the box.)

480sparky

Ever notice the j-box on most new construction cans can be opened from both sides?

Usually, a 1/4" socket will remove 3-4 screws holding the can to the frame, then it can be removed (or pushed into the ceiling/attic) for access to the j-box.

Jboxaccess.jpg

Jim W in Tampa

Now what do you do about the wire which, if done properly, is secured (stapled) close to the j-box? How do you maneuver the box around to get to the connections?

(I have only dealt with remodel cans so far....easy enough to release them to access the connections, and obviously the cable is not stapled down close to the box.)

That is the fun part. It does not say you can get at anything outside of the box and that is not required. As long as you can get at the wires it has met code.

raider1

Staff member

With remodel cans, because you are fishing the NM cable, you are not required to secure the cable within 8" of the j-box on the remodel can.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Is the IC can applicable for a foam insulation install?

Depends on whether or not the j-box on the can will be accessible if the can is foamed in or not.

The can above I would say no.

This can may be OK due to the j-box remaining accessible if the can is foamed in.

Again I would contact the can manufacturer and ask them.

Chris

maghazadeh

In a building that I was replacing Ballasts, I ran in to 8" fluor. down lights with the ballast inside a housing was attached to down lights J-box opposite of can for future access. In order to replace the ballast I had to unscrew the whole housing frame from metal joist thorough the hole in sheetrock and flep it over to take ballast out of its housing. Each ballast change took about 2 hrs, belive it or not.

mivey

Ever notice the j-box on most new construction cans can be opened from both sides?

Usually, a 1/4" socket will remove 3-4 screws holding the can to the frame, then it can be removed (or pushed into the ceiling/attic) for access to the j-box.
Be sure to have plenty of band-aids on hand. I can't ever seem to handle these things without getting cut at some point.

busman

Occupation
Master Electrician / Electrical Engineer
Yeah, those 4" Lightolier cans leave you SOL if the person before you didn't leave long tails so you can get them out the hole. Especially with big bear paws like mine.

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.