Singe Phase Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

anbm

If an electrical panel does not have manufacturer name label indicates voltage, phase, etc. by just looking panel breakers, can we tell if the panel is singe- phase? (assume there are no 3-pole breakers exist).

Or do we have to open the panel front cover to see the incoming wires and can decide???

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One could not be certain if this is a typical load center so opening the cover or looking at the breaker that feeds it would usually tell you.

480sparky

I just spent 3 days in an OSHA 30 hour class, so I can tell you that having no label would be an OSHA violation. :)

I can see where it may be an NRTL listing/labeling issue, but OSHA? Why would OSHA care about the lack of a label in the panel of my house?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Or do we have to open the panel front cover to see the incoming wires and can decide???
With no 3p breakers, that's about the only option, unless you go outside (or whereven the meter is.)

Now, if we're laking about a subpanel, no for sure (unless you can find its feeeder's origination point.)

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Having a 3 pole breaker in a panel in not a clear indication its really a 3? panel. Open it up and look at the buss arrangement.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Having a 3 pole breaker in a panel in not a clear indication its really a 3? panel. Open it up and look at the buss arrangement.
I presumed (I know, I know*) the breaker to have been installed by a qualified someone.

Besides, he did include not opening the panel as a parameter.

* When you presume, you make a pre of u and me.

Added: I guess one could have equipment that requires both 240v and 120v supplies.

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I presumed (I know, I know*) the breaker to have been installed by a qualified someone.

Besides, he did include not opening the panel as a parameter.

* When you presume, you make a pre of u and me.

Added: I guess one could have equipment that requires both 240v and 120v supplies.

What if you had a MWBC on three breakers with a handle tie?

Status
Not open for further replies.