Single Conduit with multiple bus plugs feeding battery chargers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
I seem to remember seeing a prohibition regarding running multiple feeds through a single conduit but can't find it! I work as an industrial electrician and do ESWP in the plant.
A contractor has run a single conduit connecting multiple 480 volt bus plugs to feed battery chargers. They hit 4 bus plugs using unilets and nipples then 1 conduit from the bus plugs where they dropped feeds to 4 battery chargers via more unilets and nipples. I thought each device had to have feed conductors in their own conduit. Is this right??

iwire

Staff member
No direct rule prohibiting that however with more than three current carrying conductors in the same raceway derating of the conductors needs to be looked at.

The wire size might be OK or it may be undersized depending on the specifics.

Chev

Master Electrician @ Retired
Occupation
Retired Master Electrician, Formerly at Twin Lakes Electric and GMC
I found what I was looking for, it's in my own Companies Electrical Installation Standards (EL-1)

4.2.1.10 Different source conductors (e.g., two bus plugs) shall not share the same conduit to feed loads. Please pardon my asking before exhausting all of my source materials.:ashamed1:

iwire

Staff member
I found what I was looking for, it's in my own Companies Electrical Installation Standards (EL-1)

4.2.1.10 Different source conductors (e.g., two bus plugs) shall not share the same conduit to feed loads. Please pardon my asking before exhausting all of my source materials.:ashamed1:

No problem at all.

That said it's your installation standard to interpret but to me two sources would be separate transformers, or the utility and a generator source. Etc.

Bus plugs are not generally considered 'a source'

Status
Not open for further replies.