single/double pole switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

Is it a code violation to use a single pole switch to disconnect a 2pole load? I fully understand that a double pole switch is "safer", but can you just break 1 pole and be code compliant? Please list NEC article if applicable. I found 427.55 that deals with electric heating, but what about motors or lighting?

Last edited:

480sparky

A disconnect must do just that... disconnect the source of electricity. Using a single-pole disco to shut down a 2-pole circuit does not disconnect the source, it only controls it.

Ask yourself if you want to get elbow-deep in a piece of equipment knowing only on wire is shut off...

nizak

I should have phrased it properly. The switch would be used control the on/off operation of the motor/lighting, the circuit breaker would act as the disconnecting means.

480sparky

nizak said:
I should have phrased it properly. The switch would be used control the on/off operation of the motor/lighting, the circuit breaker would act as the disconnecting means.

That would be fine, as long as the breaker can be used as a disconnect according to the various rules concerning that.

Status
Not open for further replies.