Single Family Dwelling & Apartment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len

For an apartment building, does each apartment constitute a single family dwelling. This is for requiring feeders to be upgraded to 100amp.
Does somewhere is code book exclude apartments from the 100amp requirement?

raider1

Staff member
230.79 applys to the rating of the service disconnecting means, not to a feeder to an individual dwelling unit.

Feeders run to an individual dwelling unit in a multi-family dwelling would be sized in accordance with 215.2.

Chris

raider1

Staff member
Raider, I agree, he said feeders, but, 230.79 was the only 100A shall that I could think of..........gotta start sleeping with that book. :D :D

I agree that the "100 amp" requirement that the original poster was probably thinking of was either 230.79 or 225.39(C). They both say basically the same thing, that the disconnecting means for a single family dwelling unit must be rated at 100 amps.

Chris

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Thanks guys, I found it, 2008 code 310.15 B6 requires 100amp min. to apartment panels.
It does no such thing! That article allows us to use a conductor size that is smaller than the conductor sizes given in Table 310.16, under certain specific circumstances. If we don't meet those circumstances, then we must look elsewhere for conductor sizes and ampacities. This table does not say that a unit must have a minimum size feeder.

iwire

Staff member
For an apartment building, does each apartment constitute a single family dwelling. This is for requiring feeders to be upgraded to 100amp.
Does somewhere is code book exclude apartments from the 100amp requirement?

Depending on the arraignment of the service disconnect(s) IMO being a muilti family dwelling you have to either comply with 230.79(D) (Service) or 225.39(D) (Feeder)

Neither of those sections requires any particular conductor size or ampacity, all those sections require is a disconnecting means of a certain rating. In this case at least a 60 amp disconnecting means for each unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.