Single Receptacles, How to explain it

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to explain NEC 2008 210.21(B)(1), (2). What's a good way to explain the reason.

I told this guy he had to change his 'single' dedicated 15 amp receptacle to a 20 amp receptacle rating because its a code violation to put a 'single (not duplex) 15 amp on a 20 amp branch circuit.

But if there were at least 2, 15 amp receptacles (duplex or more) he would be ok. He says this doesn't make any sense. I agree with his logic, but the Code says what it says, What's a good way to explain this 'unique' situation in the code?? I wonder if the Handbook explains it better.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I see nothing wrong with the logic. For more than one receptacle (a duplex receptacle which is two receptacles) a 15 amp duplex is permitted on a 20 amp circuit. Each 15 amp receptacle will only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted so they individually cannot be overloaded. The feed through portion of that device is rated for 20 amps so still no problem.

For a single receptacle the receptacle rating must be at least the size of the OCPD or larger. So a 20 amp single receptacle is permitted on a 15 amp circuit.

juptonstone

single recep

single recep

Tell him that the purpose of the code is to establish the "minimum" standard and that a single 15 amp receptacle does not meet "even" the minimum requirement. If he ever tries to sell his home and an informed home inspector sees it, he'll be forced to replace it anyway.

cadpoint

I see nothing wrong with the logic. For more than one receptacle (a duplex receptacle which is two receptacles) a 15 amp duplex is permitted on a 20 amp circuit. Each 15 amp receptacle will only allow a 15 amp plug to be inserted so they individually cannot be overloaded. The feed through portion of that device is rated for 20 amps so still no problem.

For a single receptacle the receptacle rating must be at least the size of the OCPD or larger. So a 20 amp single receptacle is permitted on a 15 amp circuit.

All this is not exactly what the Article's in question says

cadpoint

What U stated is not what the NEC 70 08' with exceptions SAYS, I don't have anything to paste againest it

The Words You use were very liberal as to Using a 20 on a 15 , and frankly it's doesn't say that Based on (1) (( since U want an example ))

hurk27

What U stated is not what the NEC 70 08' with exceptions SAYS, I don't have anything to paste againest it

The Words You use were very liberal as to Using a 20 on a 15 , and frankly it's doesn't say that Based on (1) (( since U want an example ))

Do you think either exception would apply to the discussion at hand?

if we want to pull in code referances, I can say a duplex is not allowed on a circuit higher then its rating like in 440.62(A)(4) says via the wording, but it wouldn't apply to the point at hand either?

Last edited:

cadpoint

Brother;

Steer your sites to Table 210.21(B)(2), this states where a Receptacle can be placed and can't be placed accordingly.

Also take a glance at Table 210.21(B)(3)

Be sure to look at 210.23.

Excuse me for being a Burr in the Sides of the Moderator's, If you want to talk CODE lets talk Code, not some inflection that might get a user of the information in trouble and that being the fact that no Code was mentioned and the Limits of the Code was not expressed!

Last edited:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I think the code is very clear that you can place a single 20 amp or even a 100 receptacle on a 15 amp branch circuit.
210.21(B)(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit. A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

cadpoint

I think the code is very clear that you can place a single 20 amp or even a 100 receptacle on a 15 amp branch circuit.

Don

With all respects; Again your exactly right!

You can say what U want, U can post and make me look Stupid, that one Part of the Article I did miss. You know as well as I exactly what Brother was trying to say to their co-worker or what ever the assoication is!

Try your one statement with an inspection, Good Luck.

The assoicaition of a receptacle is very limited if one where to read thought all the Associated articles that I listed. Call me wrong again. I'm Slow...

hurk27

And I missed that table Table 210.21(B)(3) is for two or more receptacles.

But this is how I learn:D

(3) Receptacle Ratings. Where connected to a branch circuit
supplying two or more receptacles or outlets, receptacle
ratings shall conform to the values listed in Table
210.21(B)(3), or where larger than 50 amperes, the receptacle
rating shall not be less than the branch-circuit rating.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Don

With all respects; Again your exactly right!

You can say what U want, U can post and make me look Stupid, that one Part of the Article I did miss. You know as well as I exactly what Brother was trying to say to their co-worker or what ever the assoication is!

Try your one statement with an inspection, Good Luck.

The assoicaition of a receptacle is very limited if one where to read thought all the Associated articles that I listed. Call me wrong again. I'm Slow...
We are discussing the rules as shown in the NEC. I would expect no issue with an inspector after he reads the code rules. As far as the two tables you cited, they do not apply to a single receptacle and that is what the question was about.

Status
Not open for further replies.