Sizing a industrial Machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

jggramlin

Occupation
Electrician
First sizing a machine like this and only guy with electrical experience so looking for some extra brains.

Need to size fuses at disconnect and wire to the machine. Where it terminates to a 15amp theee pole fused disconnect in the control cabinet.

Name Plate:
FLA of largest motor: 6.7
3 phase
480v
FLA: 13.81

I went to 670.
Found 125% of largest motor plus sum of everything else. (No heating element)

So i did WOLF

Wire= FLCode x 1.25
7.6 (Motor Table) x 1.25 =9.5
9.5 +13.81 = 23.31
Going with 10 wire

OL = OverLoad
13.81 x 1.25= 17.26

F = fuse
FLC x 1.75 =
13.81 x 1.75= 24.1675
Round up and go

Just looking for advice or anything advice for tricks of the trade

Last edited:

Barney B

Occupation
Electrical Instructor/Trainer
Most of your work is fine, but, your calculation for the fuses is incorrect.
For a multi-motor load, you must:
1. Size a fuse rating for the largest motor alone (in your case 7.6A x 175% = 13.3A = 15A fuse).
2. Add 100% of the remaining loads to this value (in your case 15A + 13.81A = 28.81A).
3. Since the value shown in the second step is a "not to exceed" limit, you must use the next lower standard rating (in your case 25A fuses).

Read NEC Article 430.62(A)

retirede

The way you present the nameplate data, I would expect the largest motor amps to be included in the machine FLA. is that not the case?

jggramlin

Occupation
Electrician
It gives me a FLA of the motor (there is only one) and the FLA of the entire machine. I would think the motors FLA would be included

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Normally the nameplate FLA is all need need to take into account. Adding to that you state the machine has a 15 amp internal fusible disconnect so any feed 15 amps or above should be fine. I'd likely run a 20 amp circuit to it with #12s.

Status
Not open for further replies.