Sizing a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Btwixt

Occupation
Electrician
I’m trying to price a job that has 2 existing 600 amp 120/208 panels. I plan to use one of those panels to step up to 480 on the secondary side. The transformer is going to need to be 225 kva and at least 200 amp. My question is how do I figure out what size ocpd I need on both the primary and secondary side? ( I intend on changing the panels to newer cutler hammer panels)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Over-current devices for transformers is covered by Art 450. Commonly, the primary is protected at 125% but you need to review that Section.
Once you select your over-current device, go to Art 240 for conductor sizing and 240.21(C) fro secondary conductor sizing.

Btwixt

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for that. I did that but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong because it would be a costly mistake if so

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Thanks for that. I did that but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong because it would be a costly mistake if so
So what did you come up with?

Roger

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
I believe once you do the math you wil find a glitch in the plan.

Btwixt

Occupation
Electrician
So the way it seems to me it would be a 250 amp breaker running 250’s on the primary side and 300’s on the secondary side

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
One of us has a major misunderstanding If you are looking at a 225 kva transformer with a 208 primary, the primary overcurrent device is likely to be larger than your 600 amp existing panel.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
With the primary protected at 125%, your secondary protection is only limited by the conductor sizes per 240.21(C) but your numbers will likely work,.

Status
Not open for further replies.