Sizing circuit for geothermal compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwc778

Hello:
I am wiring a circuit for a new geothermal system (Waterfurnace Series 5 unit). I am in between the HVAC company and an electrician that I'm working with, both sides are telling me different information on what exactly I should be installing for the circuit breaker and disconnect switch.

The geothermal compressor tag says RLA = 27.1, LRA = 152.9, Max HACR breaker = 70, Min Circuit Amp = 39.7.

The distance is 86 ft from our breaker panel to the unit, so I was planning on running #4 copper to allow for voltage drop. Will installing a 60 amp breaker have any advantage over a 70 amp? I was guessing 70 amp would be a closer fit for the #4 copper cable but was told to go with a 60 amp breaker.

The second question is what rating for the disconnect switch. They make a 60 amp and then it jumps to a 100 amp. Since we are going with #4 copper (70 amp rated), should I go with a 100 amp switch, or does that depend on the breaker used?

Hopefully this is straightforward. I have also posted a pic of the label directly on the geothermal unit:

https://imgur.com/a/zLhNB2A

Thank you.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.eminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking the
report-40b.png
button at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.