Sizing Equipment Bonding Jumper & Grounding Electrode Conductor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElecIT

I am confused about a couple of items from Mike Holt's NEC Exam Preparation Guide.
The practice questions in Unit 10 have four questions concerning Bonding Jumpers and Grounding Electrode Conductors.
Questions 24 and 35 relate to Bonding Jumpers.
Questions 25 and 36 relate to Grounding Electrode Conductors.

Questions 24 and 35 seem to use 400 kcmil & 500 kcmil conductors respectively to find the Bonding Jumper size in Table 250.66.
400/500 kcmil being the conductor size in a single raceway.
Questions 25 and 36 seem to use 400 kcmil x 3 (1200) & 500 kcmil x 2 (1000) conductors respectively to find the Grounding Electrode Conductor size in Table 250.66.
1200/1000 kcmil being the sum of the conductors from all raceways.

In Unit 12, the Bonding Jumper and Grounding Electrode Conductor examples on pages 356 & 357, show multiplying the size of the non-grounded conductors by the number of raceways for sizing in both situations.
This appears to be a contradiction to the test questions in Unit 10.

I apologize for the long narration, but this has confused me for quite some time.

Can anyone help me resolve this apparent discrepancy or show me where I have gone astray?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
It's safe to say not many of us have that particular book so unless you write the specific questions and answers it will be hard to help. Can you give us some more information and specifics?

Status
Not open for further replies.