sizing equipment on em/generator side of riser

malachi constant

Hi all,

Is there a consensus on if emergency distribution equipment can be "undersized" with respect to NEC calcs? I've done this in the past based on the following logical steps (consider this example as a new building, very diverse loads, with whole building backed up by generator):
Step 1. Calculate NEC size of main (normal) service gear.
Step 2. Select generator based on comparable history with similar buildings. In our experience if you match generator to NEC calcs (which are conservative) you can end up with an oversized/underloaded generator at risk of wet stacking.
Step 3. Select generator output breaker(s). Generator manufacturers often have a maximum output breaker size that they allow on a given unit, which is usually below what our normal service size is.
Step 4. Size emergency distribution equipment to generator output breaker

So in this example we end up with a calculated NEC service load that is a hair over 1200A, a normal service size of 1600A, and a generator output breaker size of 1200A. The generator output breaker is below the calculated NEC service load. In my experience the actual peak load will be in the 600-800A range, and because of load diversity (plus soft start motors and relative lack of large motors on the system) the generator will have no trouble starting.

In this example we have the generator output breaker feeding a 1200A emergency panel which has separate vertical sections each feeding a smaller ATS. The em system utilizes selective load management so if the generator struggled to maintain load the ATS's would drop the least critical (i.e. "optional/NEC 702") loads first.

I feel this meets the intent of NEC 700.4 and related sections. My biggest concern is the emergency service panel is technically undersized (1200A) compared to the NEC calcs (slightly over 1200A). But if I increase the em gear to 1600A, this size generator does not come with a 1600A output breaker as a standard option. I could increase the em gear to 1600A but what's the point if it is fed off a 1200A breaker?

I am NOT looking for an iron-clad / bullet-proof code justification for this - I think there is leeway in 700.4 ("or by another approved method") for the engineer to use their discretion, with the inspector's approval/blessing. I've been doing this for years - I think the code changed in the mid-2000s to add "Article 220" language in Article 700, at the time I asked an inspector his thoughts and he was very deferential...and since then I've never thought to ask any other inspectors. The vast majority of inspectors I've encountered would IMO likely defer to the engineer because of the inherent tension between the conservatism of the NEC calcs and the need to right-size (not oversize) generators. Just want to get some second opinions - not to hold up this thread up to a future inspector as "proof" but more to ease my conscience that I am not crazy to take this approach. FWIW in speaking with generator manufacturers they think I am taking the correct/normal approach.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

d0nut

First you need to be careful with the language and terminology when discussing generator systems. A whole building backup is not an emergency (Article 700) system. It is an optional standby system, and you can pretty much do whatever you want with an optional standby system. The true Article 700 emergency system will be your emergency egress lighting and fire alarm system, and require a separate, dedicated transfer switch. I think the load on the emergency branch would be very close to your calculated load, and I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to reduce it.

malachi constant

d0nut - excellent point. This particular facility the loads are mixed between 700, 701, 702 and 708 (plus a fire pump). Each of those individual branches the equipment rating exceeds the load calcs on it. They are all fed by a single em gear that I guess I don't know which article to classify it under, but if you subtracted out the 702 it works. That's a helpful way to look at it.