Sizing of the oversized servo motors based on actual running current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashu

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Hello,
I have a question regarding the sizing of the overprotection for feeder protection. In regular scenarios, motors will be matched to the actual load and then drives will be matched to the motors. However, in the machines I design, the servo motors are a lot higher size than the actual load requirements. Our machines employ a huge amount of Servo motors ranging from 10 amp to 98Amp each. However, the actual mechanical load is not that much but due to the peak torque requirements, the motors are selected of higher size. As I understand the overcurrent, short circuit and ground fault protection device needs to be according to the motor sizes. That to for induction motors we need to use table 430.250 rather than using motor nameplate data.
Recently, we measure the actual current of our machine which was 45% of the sum of actual rated FLA (motor nameplates) of all the continuous duty motors. We are looking now to adjust the rating of our feeder circuit breaker for future machines to consider the actual load on the servo motors rather than the nameplate data. However, NEC's article 215.3 mentions that the feeder's overcurrent protection can't be lesser than the 125% of the continuous load.
The question is: Does NEC allows to use the actual current for calculation purposes rather than using the nameplate data for Servo motors? I can't find any guidance on this situation. I will appreciate you thoughts or guidance. Thank you!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The question is: Does NEC allows to use the actual current for calculation purposes rather than using the nameplate data for Servo motors? I can't find any guidance on this situation. I will appreciate you thoughts or guidance. Thank you!
Normally, no, because there is no guarantee that any future replacements will have matching load currents.

That's why we're supposed to use table figures instead of nameplate figures for most motor-circuit parameters.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Normally, no, because there is no guarantee that any future replacements will have matching load currents.

That's why we're supposed to use table figures instead of nameplate figures for most motor-circuit parameters.
there are no tables for servo drives. you have to use what is in the manufacturer's instructions.

Ashu

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Thanks for the response. I understand there are no tables for the Servo motors/torque motors, etc. and nameplate data/mfgr's specs should be referred. However, in those applications there is much waste of the switchgears as well as electrical installation to feed the machine whereas the actual running load of the motors is so less. For running the 3Ph. electrical conductors for a 800Amp in our facility, it costs almost $200,000, most of it is the wire cost. Whereas our machine will be using max. 350Amp. only.

Status
Not open for further replies.