Sizing Service Entrance Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggsy65

I have a 100 hp 460 volt three phase motor 124A flc and a 5kva xfmr 10.4A fed by a 250 amp main breaker. How do I size the service entrance conductors correctly. My calculation tells me to use 2/0 phase conductors and a #4 grounded conductor and my coworker says that I need 4/0 phase conductors and a #2 grounded conductor. Please advise.

Npstewart

Size it for the over current device for 250a. Off the top of my head that would work out to be #250 mcm copper. I am pretty sure a #4 is fine but double check per table 250.122. Make sure to use 250.66 to size the GEC. Be when you feed the xfrmr, whole mess of rules for that application.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I think you may have a situation that is, IMHO, a bit of a Code oddity.
Were you sizing a feeder to supply the motor and transformer
2/0 would be acceptable per 430.24.
Service conductors, on the other hand, are required to be sized by the OCP device (where there is a singular device) so you 250 amp breaker would require a 250 kcmil as a service conductor.
You grounded conductor to the service based on the 250 would be a #2 based on 250.24(C) & 250.66.
Your equipment ground to the load side could be reduced to a #4 per 250.122.

Note:
I went back to the NEC to substanuiate the above by Code reference as I was working on what I had previously learned, however, Exception 1 to 230.90 leads me to believe the above info is incorrect. As I read that exception, you could size the service conductors the same as the feeder.
Hopefully we will get some more insight.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Service conductors, on the other hand, are required to be sized by the OCP device (where there is a singular device) so you 250 amp breaker would require a 250 kcmil as a service conductor.
I always get a chuckle out of that requirement, i.e. 230.42(B) Specific Installations. Not chuckling about the safety aspect... rather about a lack of definition for a "Specific" installation. As such, who makes or by what criteria is the decision made: specific or non-specific???

Generically, all installations are specific to that service!

Last edited:

raider1

Staff member
Gus, I agree with your interpratation of Exception #1 to 230.90.

When you have a service that is supplying a motor load or motor loads then the Exception to 230.90 would permit you to size the service entrance conductors the same way you size the feeder conductors for a motor feeder.

My calculation tells me to use 2/0 phase conductors and a #4 grounded conductor

The above calculations look good to me.

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.