sizing transformers on multi meter services

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have a 480 volt 3 ph service with a;800 amp main disconnect 5 metered grouped /multimeter module. This grouped meter module has (4) 200 amp meters and disconnect( for individual office rentals ) and (1) 125 amp meter and disconnect( for house lights and outdoor area lights ) Do i size the trans formers using the service amperage of 800 amps in the calcalation formula or the load center amps of 200 when stepping down the voltage to 208v / 120v to each office

Smart $

Esteemed Member
i have a 480 volt 3 ph service with a;800 amp main disconnect 5 metered grouped /multimeter module. This grouped meter module has (4) 200 amp meters and disconnect( for individual office rentals ) and (1) 125 amp meter and disconnect( for house lights and outdoor area lights ) Do i size the trans formers using the service amperage of 800 amps in the calcalation formula or the load center amps of 200 when stepping down the voltage to 208v / 120v to each office
Your description is a little vague on where the transformers are located. Having used the plural term, I'll assume they are load side of the meter/disconnects. To be 100% compliant with the NEC, you would have to do an Article 220 load calculation, and take the result into consideration, among any other considerations. After that you have a basis for design decisions. For example, being rental space and subject to tenant changes, it may be more desirable to size each transformer to the available VA for its primary.

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Another determining factor might be that tenant loads have yet to be determined. You'd obviously not be able to do a load calculation... it would have to be a load speculation :p and I imagine that has already been done.

Status
Not open for further replies.