Sizing wire and circuit breaker for air conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Let's say I have an air conditioner with a minimum circuit ampacity of 28.2 amps. It then says that the max breaker is 45 amps. Am I compliant using #10 nm-b from the panel to the unit and having a 45 amp breaker or am I still required to have a 30 amp breaker? I always thought you choose the wire size by the mca of the unit and then use the max breaker size.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Dave. Since your using NM cable you would use it's 60° C ampacity which is 30 amps. The OCPD could be 45 amps with the 30 amp conductor.

crtemp

I agree with Dave. Since your using NM cable you would use it's 60° C ampacity which is 30 amps. The OCPD could be 45 amps with the 30 amp conductor.

So 440.6 is where it says to choose the correct wire for the MCA and 440.12(a)(1) is where it says to put it on the max breaker?

But the minimum breaker I can do is a 35?
28.2 x 115% = 32.4

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So 440.6 is where it says to choose the correct wire for the MCA and 440.12(a)(1) is where it says to put it on the max breaker?

But the minimum breaker I can do is a 35?
28.2 x 115% = 32.4

The minimum OCPD would be 30 amps. The Minimum Circuit Ampacity is 28.2. A 30 amp circuit breaker is still larger than the Minimum circuit required. No calculation needed, the 28.2 amp already has the 125% factor added in.

crtemp

The minimum OCPD would be 30 amps. The Minimum Circuit Ampacity is 28.2. A 30 amp circuit breaker is still larger than the Minimum circuit required. No calculation needed, the 28.2 amp already has the 125% factor added in.
So why is there a max breaker size of 45 amps when a 30 amp breaker is sufficient?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So why is there a max breaker size of 45 amps when a 30 amp breaker is sufficient?

Yes, but it is possible that as the unit wears starting currents could creep up causing the 30 amp OCPD to trip. I would just use the max of 45 amps.

crtemp

Yes, but it is possible that as the unit wears starting currents could creep up causing the 30 amp OCPD to trip. I would just use the max of 45 amps.
So if I had to quote a code to my inspector that tagged the #10 nm-b on a 45 amp breaker it would be 440.6?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The overload protection in the a/c protects the wire the breakers is there for ground fault and short circuit protection

kwired

Electron manager
So if I had to quote a code to my inspector that tagged the #10 nm-b on a 45 amp breaker it would be 440.6?

440.6 is for minimum conductor size, 440 part III is for short circuit and ground fault protection.

Motors and air conditioning equipment don't follow the same general rules as most other applications when it comes to overcurrent protection, you can possibly find situations at times where a 10 AWG could be on a 80 amp breaker with these kinds of loads.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
If you have a 45 amp breaker you need wire that can handle 45 amps you cannot put 10 nm on a 45 amp breaker put the 30 amp breaker in with 10 wire if anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As David stated this is incorrect. The conductors are not required to match the size of the OCPD. In this case they're only required to be sized large enough to meet the MCA of 28.2 amps. The 45 amp OCPD has no relation to the conductor size when using the nameplate values.

Leespark57

If you have a 45 amp breaker you need wire that can handle 45 amps you cannot put 10 nm on a 45 amp breaker put the 30 amp breaker in with 10 wire if anything

cookerobert21, start by looking at 240.4(d) Small Conductors. This says "unless specifically permitted"... Table 240.4(G) lists AC and refrigeration equipment (440 Parts III, VI) as one of those times where it is specifically permitted.

kwired

Electron manager

cookerobert21, start by looking at 240.4(d) Small Conductors. This says "unless specifically permitted"... Table 240.4(G) lists AC and refrigeration equipment (440 Parts III, VI) as one of those times where it is specifically permitted.

To add to that the major reason it is permitted is the breaker is only providing short circuit and ground fault protection for this type of load. The motor(s) supplied have overload protection that not only protects the motor, but inherently will protect the branch circuit conductors from overload as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.