Sizing wireway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dansos

Hi guys. I’m having a really hard time figuring out the size trough we need for running some feeder cables. I want to give you a rundown of how I am figuring this out so I understand if I am applying something incorrectly.

We are pulling (6) 4/0AL XHHW from a meter socket. 3 will be going to a load center and 3 will be going to a disconnect. All equipment is next to each other so I figured to put a 36” trough under them and run wires through that.
I am coming out of bottom of meter with a 3” nipple to connect to the trough. They will enter through the top of trough, run inside and then exit through the top of the trough.
4/0XHHW = 0.3197 x 6 = 1.92

using a 4x4” raceway that gives me 16”sq. And using 20% fill on that will give me 3.2”sq for fill.
All that sound right???
If so, are there any other things I need to apply in figuring out this calculation?

Dansos

Thank you for the replies.

312.6 has 4/0 at 3.5” radius.
314.28 has 4/0 at a minimum 4” raceway for an angle or “U” pull.

I know it is next to impossible to neatly get those wire through a 4” race way. I just want to make sure I am A) applying the correct codes and B) understanding the math and measurements I need to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.