SJ Cord to wire 24" Electric Range Plug and Receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jons

Is 10-4 SJ cord allowed to wire a new (recently purchased) 24" electric range rated at 40 Amps? Also would it be permissible to hardwire this oven from a piece of 8-3 Romex coming out of the wall, eliminating the plug/receptacle all together, assuming the romex was long enough to reach for install? I'm Talking current Southwire romex purchased a month ago from Home Depot, not some older TW type conductors or older.
Pre-fabed plug and cord with vinyl type jacket is way stiff and opening at back of oven is not very large or recessed to accommodate this, therefore interested in either hardwire off 8-3 romex or using type SJ cord for install. Install being conducted in New York State (Upstate in ADKs)

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Using a manufactured cord assembly (range pigtail) probably cost at least same or less than separately purchasing the cord and plug,, and then assembling them, why not just go with one? They make them in 40 amp that has 8 AWG ungrounded conductor and reduced EGC, and possibly even reduced neutral.

Direct connecting with NM cable, not entirely prohibited, but proper securing/supporting of the cable is usually impractical in most installations, unless you would have easy access to the back side of the range for some reason, but then physical protection may become a bigger issue.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
How many Kw is the range? Is it permitted to be cord and plug by the manufacturer?

growler

Is 10-4 SJ cord allowed to wire a new (recently purchased) 24" electric range rated at 40 Amps? Also would it be permissible to hardwire this oven from a piece of 8-3 Romex coming out of the wall, eliminating the plug/receptacle all together, assuming the romex was long enough to reach for install? I'm Talking current Southwire romex purchased a month ago from Home Depot, not some older TW type conductors or older.
Pre-fabed plug and cord with vinyl type jacket is way stiff and opening at back of oven is not very large or recessed to accommodate this, therefore interested in either hardwire off 8-3 romex or using type SJ cord for install. Install being conducted in New York State (Upstate in ADKs)

Using a manufactured cord assembly (range pigtail) probably cost at least same or less than separately purchasing the cord and plug,, and then assembling them, why not just go with one? They make them in 40 amp that has 8 AWG ungrounded conductor and reduced EGC, and possibly even reduced neutral.

I'm with Kwired on this. A factory cable normally works out well if you install the receptacle in the correct position. On the ranges that I have installed the receptacle needs to be less than 8" AFF (above finished floor). There should be a recessed area on the range down low that will allow for excess cable.

This is assuming that this is a stand-alone type range and not built into the cabinet ( fixed in place).

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
In addition to everything they just said, #10 SJ cord is only good for 30A at best, not 40A. You need #8, which as mentioned will be the factory prefab stove pigtails.

Jons

In addition to everything they just said, #10 SJ cord is only good for 30A at best, not 40A. You need #8, which as mentioned will be the factory prefab stove pigtails.

Stated #10 by accident. here's the link to the stove: https://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/CLRE24WHThey specify amperage at 40. I would think a 50 amp circuit is required to supply this stove, unless non-continuous duty could be applied as derating.

Last edited:

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Stated #10 by accident. here's the link to the stove: https://www.summitappliance.com/catalog/model/CLRE24WHThey specify amperage at 40. I would think a 50 amp circuit is required to supply this stove, unless non-continuous duty could be applied as derating.

40A is all that is needed, the mfg already speced it. A stove/range is not a continuous load due to it has thermostats that turn the elements on/off as needed and never are on for more than 3 hours.
Go with the pigtail made for the stove.

Jons

40A is all that is needed, the mfg already speced it. A stove/range is not a continuous load due to it has thermostats that turn the elements on/off as needed and never are on for more than 3 hours.
Go with the pigtail made for the stove.
No pigtail supplied.
Here's the next question:

Is the physical form factor for a 4 wire 40A plug (in terms of its pin configuration), the same as the 50 Amp 4 wire plug? I see from the Hubbell chart:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...art&selectedindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

that the receptacle jumps from 30 to 50 Amps. But I do see a 40 Amp 4 wire cord available. I just want to validate the 40 Amp prefab plug and cord will mate with the 50 Amp receptacle.

Example of 40 Amp prefab plug and cord:

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-PT...3964&sr=8-3&keywords=40+amp+range+cord+4+wire

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
No pigtail supplied.

Is the physical form factor for a 4 wire 40A plug (in terms of its pin configuration), the same as the 50 Amp 4 wire plug? I see from the Hubbell chart:

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...art&selectedindex=0&ajaxhist=0&vt=0&eim=1,2,6

that the receptacle jumps from 30 to 50 Amps. But I do see a 40 Amp 4 wire cord available. I just want to validate the 40 Amp prefab plug and cord will mate with the 50 Amp receptacle.

https://www.amazon.com/Whirlpool-PT...3964&sr=8-3&keywords=40+amp+range+cord+4+wire

You would use a 50 amp cord cap and 50 amp receptacle on a 40 amp circuit.

growler

No pigtail supplied.

Is the physical form factor for a 4 wire 40A plug (in terms of its pin configuration), the same as the 50 Amp 4 wire plug? I see from the Hubbell chart.

There are no 40 Amp receptacles or plugs. You will use a #8 pigtail that has a 50 amp plug and goes to a 50 amp receptacle but you will protect the circuit wiring with a 40 amp breaker. The circuit wiring from the panel to the receptacle can also be #8.

Jons

24" Electric Range Plug and Receptacle

24" Electric Range Plug and Receptacle

There are no 40 Amp receptacles or plugs. You will use a #8 pigtail that has a 50 amp plug and goes to a 50 amp receptacle but you will protect the circuit wiring with a 40 amp breaker. The circuit wiring from the panel to the receptacle can also be #8.

Well then that link to the Whirlpool plug is bogus, as it indicates a 40 Amp rating. Could possibly be capable of supporting a 50 Amp load, but then again 80% of 50 is 40, so maybe this is what they are trying to represent for their product. I would also think the same for the breaker....50 Amp to be operated at 80% max, which would support 40 Amp load. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
No pigtail supplied.

Pigtail is never supplied, you have choice of three wire and four wire depending on application and code that applied when the circuit was first installed. If a pigtail is supplied it is usually an add on by the vendor and not something supplied from factory, they usually will ask which pigtail you need, or will install the one you need at time of delivery/setup. There is no 40 amp plug/receptacle as mentioned. A "40 amp cord" will be 8 AWG conductor with 50 amp cord cap.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Well then that link to the Whirlpool plug is bogus, as it indicates a 40 Amp rating. Could possibly be capable of supporting a 50 Amp load, but then again 80% of 50 is 40, so maybe this is what they are trying to represent for their product. I would also think the same for the breaker....50 Amp to be operated at 80% max, which would support 40 Amp load. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I already corrected you in post #7, a stove/range is not a continuous load and does not need the 125% added. The mfg said 40A, I don't know the Kw but am sure it would be 40A or close, so 40A breaker is all you need. As has been mentioned, there are no 40A receptacles or cord caps, 50A is standard.

kwired

Electron manager
I already corrected you in post #7, a stove/range is not a continuous load and does not need the 125% added. The mfg said 40A, I don't know the Kw but am sure it would be 40A or close, so 40A breaker is all you need. As has been mentioned, there are no 40A receptacles or cord caps, 50A is standard.
Plus NEC permits demand factor to be applied to the range.

Table 220.55 permits up to 12 kW range to be treated as an 8 kW load for load calculating purposes, because they know that not all 12 kW will ever run at same time for any significant duration. 8 kw is only 33.33 amps at 240 volts.

Status
Not open for further replies.