Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmtjfw

How is this an "industrial motor controls" question?

Last I checked many motor are run off commercial power. Let us say I send an electrician out to install a system which includes a service and a 5-HP motor on a water well pump sitting out in the open. I would expect the electrician to be able to install a simple 3-phase service, a motor starter and the wiring to the pump. I would be less than happy if she/he use enclosures with any of the ratings listed, except the one rated for out of doors.

Perhaps the motor control electricians you know lead a much more sheltered life than I have. :)

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Last I checked many motor are run off commercial power. Let us say I send an electrician out to install a system which includes a service and a 5-HP motor on a water well pump sitting out in the open. I would expect the electrician to be able to install a simple 3-phase service, a motor starter and the wiring to the pump. I would be less than happy if she/he use enclosures with any of the ratings listed, except the one rated for out of doors.

Perhaps the motor control electricians you know lead a much more sheltered life than I have. :)
It remains my opinion that industrial motor controls does not include anything on the line side of the motor controller, its questionable if that term even includes the motor power circuit.

Sure you need a power source and if that source is the utility, you need a meter, but still not a question for a thread named "industrial motor controls".

fmtjfw

It remains my opinion that industrial motor controls does not include anything on the line side of the motor controller, its questionable if that term even includes the motor power circuit.

Sure you need a power source and if that source is the utility, you need a meter, but still not a question for a thread named "industrial motor controls".

OK so the question should have been related to a motor starter enclosure. The answer, the Code and the reasoning would be the same.

fmtjfw

My Answer

My Answer

C

(3) What enclosure type should be used for a meter socket installed on the outside wall of a building?

110.28 and the associated table describe the types of enclosures. Since it is outside a building you should use the top part of the table, which eliminates types 1, 2, 5, 12K. 3R is rated for outdoors with rain, snow & sleet.
Code Ref:
110.28 and Table 110.28
Index:
Enclosure ? types

fmtjfw

Revised question per input

Revised question per input

What enclosure type should be used for a meter socket motor starter installed on the outside wall of a building?

Status
Not open for further replies.