Skutt kiln KMT-614 -3

Jmac84

Occupation
Remodeling
I have a customer that wants a kiln installed in her home work space. Specs 115 volts power - amps 20 watts 2300 copper wire 10awg NEMA receptacle. 5-20
They recommend a 30 amp breaker this is where I'm confused. 20- amp is 2400 watts the breakers are designed to switch at 80% so that's were the 30 amp breaker comes in I'm guessing. My question is can Install a 20 amp Nema 5-20 receptacle on a dedicated 30 amp breaker? Cause that goes against everything I understand about electrical.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
customer that wants a kiln installed
A kiln for pottery, or glaze firing, can take 4-12 hours, nothing less than 3 hours, which is continuous load.

2300 x 1.25 = 2875W or 30 Amp receptacle

NEC 210.22 is intended for NRTL listed devices tested to UL standards at their rating.

Finding some suppliers that cater to General Contractors sourcing unlisted devices from Amazon, and more clients asking me to install their unlisted fixtures they purchased online.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
They recommend a 30 amp breaker this is where I'm confused. 20- amp is 2400 watts the breakers are designed to switch at 80% so that's were the 30 amp breaker comes in I'm guessing.
What size and type of cord and plug are on the unit? There is no 80% switching for a circuit breaker.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Breakers aren't designed to pop at 80%? I'm checking cord size now the plug is a Nema 5-20
No a 20 amp circuit breaker will likely carry 20 amps forever. Since the unit has a 20 amp, 120 volt plug that is the size of the branch circuit.

Jmac84

Occupation
Remodeling
Here's what I get when I goggle the KmT-614-3
Electrical requirements
115 volts 20 amps 2300 watts
Copper wire size: 10
Recommend Breaker size: 30
NEMA Receptacle configuration: 5-20
I guess what I'm asking is will this work together? This is what Skutt Recommends
It's my understanding that a Nema 5-20 plug is rated for 20 amps am I wrong?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Electrical requirements

I guess what I'm asking is will this work together? This is what Skutt Recommends
That would get a red tag from me based on the code rules.
210.21 (B) Receptacles.
(1) Single Receptacle on an Individual Branch Circuit.
A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Electrical requirements
As Don stated that is not code compliant. If it needs a 30 amp circuit then it needs a 30 amp plug right out of the box. Manufacturer instructions are wrong as often as they're right. Yes 120 volt, 20 amp plug from post #7.

nizak

The factory cord end is most likely to be the weakest link .

Depending on amount of use, that’s a fairly substantial draw on any type of “standard” 120V cord end.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
In other words, "We have built a device to be plugged into a circuit that is not capable of powering it."
So you're thinking that this kiln won't even work on a 20 amp circuit? These kilns are UL listed. If the cord and plug could not support the load how would it get listed?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I looked up the manual. They do call for a 5-20 receptacle and the unit is rated 20 amps, 2300 watts @115 volts.

They ask for #10 copper wire with an asterisk. which say increase wire size if over 50 feet. I didn't see a recommended breaker size just the 20 amp rating of the equipment. I did not see them asking for a 30 amp breaker.

So give them what they want 20 amp receptacle, #10 wire and a 20 amp breaker

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I looked up the manual. They do call for a 5-20 receptacle and the unit is rated 20 amps, 2300 watts @115 volts.

They ask for #10 copper wire with an asterisk. which say increase wire size if over 50 feet. I didn't see a recommended breaker size just the 20 amp rating of the equipment. I did not see them asking for a 30 amp breaker.

So give them what they want 20 amp receptacle, #10 wire and a 20 amp breaker
So the #10 is a suggestion? You could use #12 with a larger voltage drop. Unit might not heat up properly if the voltage is too low but then again it's actually rated at 115 volts, 2300 watt= 20 amps. At a full 120 volts the unit will likely draw more current being a little more than 20 amps.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
So the #10 is a suggestion? You could use #12 with a larger voltage drop.
Not compatible with multiple household outlets on 20A circuits, per NEC 210.21(B)(2) & (3).

Individual 20A outlets may have existed at Dishwasher, Disposer, & FAU, before remodel outlet wiring, most likely destroyed by that kiln.