Skutt kiln KMT-614 -3

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
I wouldn’t consider a kiln a continuous load. The heating element is either cycled or otherwise limited to control the ramp up time.
Thermostat controlled water heater tanks also cycle on & off, yet are considered a continuous load. Same with 220.82(C)(6) HVAC loads.

220.14(A) may consider it nameplate, until the listed instructions, however poorly written, recommend 30A breaker or wire. NEC 110.3(B) requires the 30A circuit, regardless of continuous load, voltage drop, or other speculation.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Thermostat controlled water heater tanks also cycle on & off, yet are considered a continuous load. Same with 220.82(C)(6) HVAC loads.

220.14(A) may consider it nameplate, until the listed instructions, however poorly written, recommend 30A breaker or wire. NEC 110.3(B) requires the 30A circuit, regardless of continuous load, voltage drop, or other speculation.
110.3(B) only applies to listing and labeling requirements, not to manufacturer's recommendations.

ramsy

Occupation
110.3(B) only applies to listing and labeling requirements, not to manufacturer's recommendations.
OP describes the specs in post #1, as internet recommendations in post #9.

Did not realize listed equipment recommendations, published by manufacturer, are not 110.3(B) instructions?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
OP describes the specs in post #1, as internet recommendations in post #9.

Did not realize listed equipment recommendations, published by manufacturer, are not 110.3(B) instructions?
Only the instructions that are part of the actual listing and labeling. Recommendations are never instructions or requirements, they are simply suggestions. The difference between "shall" and "should" in code language.

Jmac84

Occupation
Remodeling
Well guys I appreciate all your input. I'm going to go with retirede on this the 30 amp breaker with a 20 amp receptacle just goes against everything I've been taught. I'm going to call the manufacturer Monday and see if I can get to thr bottom of this. I was just hoping to wrap it up this weekend. Again I appreciate your time and knowledge thank you.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Well guys I appreciate all your input. I'm going to go with retirede on this the 30 amp breaker with a 20 amp receptacle just goes against everything I've been taught. I'm going to call the manufacturer Monday and see if I can get to thr bottom of this. I was just hoping to wrap it up this weekend. Again I appreciate your time and knowledge thank you.
I certainly would not use a 30 amp OCPD with a 20 amp single receptacle since it's a violation. I may opt for the #10 wire. They should just install a 30 amp plug from the factory.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Might consider running #6 AL SE cable for it. Stuff is cheap now, like a buck a foot, cheaper than #10 NM. Then you can use your 30 amp breaker and a 30 amp outlet.
The kiln comes with a 20 amp plug. Would you transition to copper to connect to the receptacle?

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
The controller in this kiln is fairly sophisticated. It has current and voltage sensors built in.

For all I know maybe it can be programmed to limit operation base on amps and volts.

To me the 20A plug is the decision maker. The #10 wire is a suggestion not a requirement. I didn't see a mention of a 30 amp breaker.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Okay, good point I forgot about the factory installed cord cap. I would probably seriously consider cutting it off and putting a 30 amp on. The idea of running a 20 amp plug and receptacle at 100% for long periods doesn't get me very excited 😒
I agree, if it were for the warranty issue of wacking off the 20 amp plug I would just go 30 amps end to end.

ramsy

Occupation
This kiln might not be, but many older ones run the elements continuously until the target heat (cone) is reached, and that can be 12+ hours.
Instruction manual Pg.19 shows fastest setting for ~2000 Deg. cone is 4 hours.

Appendix 5 shows the only 115v model is KM614 with the * wire-size note, at bottom of table:

* .."Electrical specifications listed above are suggested guidelines. Local electrical codes may vary."

Where the NEC is adopted, and an appliance cord is provided with NEMA 5-20P plug, listed & tested to handle the continuous 2300 Watts for 4+ hour cone ramps, I believe a similarly listed 5-20R receptacle is preferred with NEC branch sized with #10cu on a 30A fuse.

Cutting off the 5-20P could find 90°C appliance conductors that burn up 75°C terminals of after market 30 Amp cord cap plug.

Last edited:

ramsy

Occupation
Not permitted by the NEC.
I believe you are correct, per NEC Table 210.21(B)(3)

Here is their listing page

On closer examination of the models registered under their UL file number, the 115v model 614 is not listed, and may be prohibited by NEC.

That NEMA 5-20P on Pg.45-46 of the manual for the KM614, may have failed an NRTL attempt.

Last edited: