Sleeve & Firestop

Status
Not open for further replies.

raider1

Staff member
I always thought it was a building or fire code.

The chief headbanger (Raider1/Chris) probably knows.

The building codes will provide the requirements for what walls are fire rated and most likely will also give you some methods of protecting penetrations in those walls.

300.21 in the NEC tells us we have to maintain the firerating of any walls that you penetrate.

Chris

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Any time you are penetrating a fire wall, but it doesn't always need to be sleeved. You need to take a look a the instructions for the product and wiring type you are using. Guys argue about it all the time, but the book with the different methods is every bit as thick as the code book.

jumper

Any time you are penetrating a fire wall, but it doesn't always need to be sleeved. You need to take a look a the instructions for the product and wiring type you are using. Guys argue about it all the time, but the book with the different methods is every bit as thick as the code book.

I am lazy, I just ask the inspector what does he want where.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I am lazy, I just ask the inspector what does he want where.

And I won't tell you, because it's not my job to engineer your job. Sorry. You tell me what you're going to do and then do it and then I'll tell you if you did it right or not. I have no idea what needs to be installed unless I look it up too.

jumper

And I won't tell you, because it's not my job to engineer your job. Sorry. You tell me what you're going to do and then do it and then I'll tell you if you did it right or not. I have no idea what needs to be installed unless I look it up too.

John, you are correct. Let me explain my statement better.

My job involved correcting existing violations at a college for state Fire Marshalls, not new construction.

They would write citations, or make recommendations, and I would correct them.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
John, you are correct. Let me explain my statement better.

My job involved correcting existing violations at a college for state Fire Marshalls, not new construction.

They would write citations, or make recommendations, and I would correct them.

Oh, yeah, that changes my answer then. :grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.