Sleeving

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
When conduit(s) are running as shown how often do you get the conduits in before the wall is up? If your not ready prior to wall going up then you must sleeve correct? I assume based on practicality most often horizontal conduit are installed prior to wall going up obviously. Vertical conduits usually get sleeves installed prior to slab being poured as I don't think those conduits go in prior to slab.

Note - There is a block wall shown.

1701872874442.png

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
When conduit(s) are running as shown how often do you get the conduits in before the wall is up? If your not ready prior to wall going up then you must sleeve correct?
No, sleeves are not necessary and in many cases it's better to make holes after other trades have their work in place.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Three basic options, either run the conduit before the wall (best option), the brickie leaves a slot in the wall and patches later, or you have the brickie install a sleeve.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Three basic options, either run the conduit before the wall (best option), the brickie leaves a slot in the wall and patches later, or you have the brickie install a sleeve.
Same applies for gyp board walls regarding getting conduits in first? If you had to guess how often are conduits install through places where walls are being erected BEFOREHAND.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Same applies for gyp board walls regarding getting conduits in first? If you had to guess how often are conduits install through places where walls are being erected BEFOREHAND.
It all depends. If you have a conduit layout and your guys are on the job before the walls are built the electrician can certainly get in there first.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
It all depends. If you have a conduit layout and your guys are on the job before the walls are built the electrician can certainly get in there first.
I understand what should happen and what actually happens is different. How often do you wind up having to put sleeves in for horizontal conduit runs?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I understand what should happen and what actually happens is different. How often do you wind up having to put sleeves in for horizontal conduit runs?
For Sheetrock we don't use sleeves, for block not very often because we'll usually work with the brickie who will leave us a slot for the conduits. If that's not feasible then we'll install sleeves.