Slip coupling hack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
I had to repair a piece of damaged EMT in a chipped-out single cell of CMU and had a heck of a time finding anyone with slip couplings in stock. As necessity is the mother of invention, I grabbed some regular couplings from the warehouse and started head-scratching. Just a few minutes of drilling out the three dimples in a compression coupling...voila! slip coupling. The ones I had on hand were Crouse Hinds, but it looks like Steel City also uses the dimples.

emt repair.jpg 1661535256047.png Thought I'd share in case someone else ends up in a bind.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Back in the day before they actually made listed slip couplings that's how we made them in the field. I've even taken a rotary file on a drill and ground down the entire ridge on die cast couplings.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
They are not meant to be water tight so I see no need to worry about it.
So it's just a matter of scale? The hole in the EMT in the picture in the OP is too large, but the hole in the coupling isn't? If the hole in the EMT were as small as the hole in the coupling from drilling the coupling, then the EMT wouldn't have required repair in the first place?

I don't have an opinion either way, just being inquisitive to try to understand the logic here.

Thanks,
Wayne

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
So it's just a matter of scale? The hole in the EMT in the picture in the OP is too large, but the hole in the coupling isn't? If the hole in the EMT were as small as the hole in the coupling from drilling the coupling, then the EMT wouldn't have required repair in the first place?

I don't have an opinion either way, just being inquisitive to try to understand the logic here.

Thanks,
Wayne
The hole drilled in the coupling is typically 1/4" or less depending on the size of the dimple.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If the hole in the block is going to get filled I would put some tape over any holes drilled in the coupling to prevent the mortar from filling the conduit.

No idea if it would work for conduit couplings but with copper plumbing couplings if you slide one over a galvanized nipple one size smaller and tap the dimple area of the coupling they will flatten out to become a no-stop coupling.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

Thanks,
Wayne
Everything is a matter of scale and context. In this case the size of the hole is not the issue. The hole in the conduit looks like a puncture leaving sharp edges inside the conduit. It would have needed to be cut out, replaced, and the wires re-pulled.

Electromatic

Occupation
Master Electrician
The actual slip couplings I was trying to get all had a "sight hole" in them to center the coupling on the pipe. They looked bigger than the hole I ended up drilling. This cell is supposed to get packed back with grout, so I did tape up the couplings/joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.