Slowly I turned...and walked out the door.

Status
Not open for further replies.
480sparky said:
So if someone comes to your door, smokin' a joint, guzzlin' liquer, with an Uzi tucked into their pants and a swastika tattooed on their forehead, and more metal punched into their scalp than you own in tools, you'll glady let them into your house?

I think the key phrase here is "When you hire somebody...." I'm not required to hire the most competent person.

If the person is smoking pot you can report him/her as breaking the law. If he is attempting to perform the job while drunk then it is an issue of questionable performance. If he is illegaly carrying a gun, he is again breaking the law and again, should be reported. The swastika maybe worn as a religious symbol - it is in Hinduism - and is no different than you wearing a cross and a Muslim or a Jew would refuse to employ you. The fondness of metallic body decoration is not against the law and you have no lawful reason to refuse their offer on THAT basis. You must think of something else.

I didn't say the law was sane, but it is created by the lawmakers we elect. Over and over. Wake up people and do something about it if you don't like it.

tonyou812

bkludecke said:
We work in any conditions. Bad weather, sewer plants & lift stations, vermin infested homes, smoke filled rooms, confined spaces, and live work. The key to all this (as previously mentioned) is to price the work accordingly, train employees in proper methods and safeguards, and provide PPE as necessary.

Common sense also works well. I have one man who is very allergic to cats so I try to keep him out of "cat houses" :D . Another guy has severe allergies to cedar so I don't have him installing the lights in the cedar closet. I also make accomodations for religeous objections (bars, churches etc,), smoking and the like.
without even looking were your from I guessed that you were from California.:grin:

tonyou812

I'm afraid of monsters in closets.....I was on this job once were I had to install track lights in a Trophy room. And the trophy's were animal heads and skins. I told the mechanic on the job that I do not want to work in there because I have a serious problem with the animals ( I am a big advocate of animal rights) and skins and it really bothers me. So he called the boss and the boss basically said if you don't want to work there than just take the next two days off w/o pay, because you are Randys helper and if you don't want to work there then he will have to do the work on his own, so just stay home. And the funny thing is everyone in the shop knows how strongly I feel about animals and they still put me there.
Now that I am contractor I could just imagine what it must be like if I had a shop with 30 guys and had to work around all their idiosyncrasies. And the other thing I learned and learned well is that I am not doing my boss a favor by showing up to work, he is doing me the favor of allowing me to work for him. In the 3 1/2 years I worked for him he never laid me off and always paid me overtime if I did more than 40 hours. Now that Im on my own and go through many lean weeks I think about how good i really had it. Steady pay check every week and all I had to do is work and keep my mouth shut.

Last edited:

bikeindy

weressl said:
The swastika maybe worn as a religious symbol - it is in Hinduism - and is no different than you wearing a cross and a Muslim or a Jew would refuse to employ you. The fondness of metallic body decoration is not against the law and you have no lawful reason to refuse their offer on THAT basis. You must think of something else.

I didn't say the law was sane, but it is created by the lawmakers we elect. Over and over. Wake up people and do something about it if you don't like it.

I don't think anyone said you were sane either we were asuming that. A SWASTIKA IS NOT A RELIGIOUS SYMBOL! The Buddhist (not Hindu) have a simular symbol but it is reversed. Get some real info man. and I can refuse anyone contracting work on any basis I want, try citing some laws please, you won't find any. I guess I broke the law yesturday when a black guy told me he would rake up some debis for a few bucks and I told him to get lost.

Japanese Buddhist symbol to be more accurate here is a pic.

125727056_a09024619c.jpg

Last edited:

crossman

tonyou812 said:
the other thing I learned and learned well is that I am not doing my boss a favor by showing up to work, he is doing me the favor of allowing me to work for him.

I prefer to think of it more like a symbiotic relationship. A good employee is loyal to his contractor and understands where his paycheck is coming from. A good employer values his employees and compensates them fairly.

always paid me overtime if I did more than 40 hours.

Isn't there some kind of law about that?

bikeindy

tonyou812 said:
Now that I am contractor I could just imagine what it must be like if I had a shop with 30 guys and had to work around all their idiosyncrasies.

This is what we call perspective. My former employers like me because I had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.