SLUDGE QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkeye23

In wastewater treatment plants there are solids that are removed to be burned or what ever . Before the solids are removed they are pumped into a tanker to be taken away. My question is while this process is being done should the tanker be grounded and is this a classified area ? Are there any other concerns to be aware of there?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
In wastewater treatment plants there are solids that are removed to be burned or what ever . Before the solids are removed they are pumped into a tanker to be taken away. My question is while this process is being done should the tanker be grounded and is this a classified area ? Are there any other concerns to be aware of there?
As a general rule all interconnecting piping between storage and the tanker should be bonded to avoid static build up. Grounding all elements may accomplish this. Personally, I prefer as direct a bond connection across potential gaps as possible.

Some of the installation is likely to be Class I, Group D, T1; however the extent of Division envelopes are unknown. Variables for things such as ventilation, piping materials and connections, degree of enclosure, etc. are unknown and no amount of narrative description on your part will clarify the installation sufficiently. You need someone familiar with the installation and NFPA 820, Standard for Fire Protection in Wastewater Treatment and Collection Facilities to determine the exact envelopes. The facility’s insurer is a good place to start.

hawkeye23

DISPLAY CLASS ?

DISPLAY CLASS ?

Sorry for not putting this question with my previous post. Should classified areas have the area posted so workers are aware the areas they are in ? Thanks for your responses.

The sludge is most likely to be in the high conductivity range, so no static generation should be expected.

Even though it is called static electricity, I do not believe it falls under the guidelines of NFPA 70 Article 500.

Status
Not open for further replies.