Small Appliance Circuits For Kitchenette

Status
Not open for further replies.

fcborik

Hello,

I am designing a remodel for an upstairs bathroom and the customer wants to include a "very" small kitchenette adjacent to the bathroom. When I say "very" small, the footprint will be 8 sf (4'x2'). It will include a bar sink, single burner induction plate, undercounter refrigerator, and convection microwave. My question, with such limited counterspace, am I still required to provide 2x20A individual circuits for small appliances? I've read through a number of other posts on this forum, and I didn't see any way out of this, so my current plan is to feed the refrigerator and one counter outlet with one SA circuit, and the other counter outlet with the other SA circuit.

Not trying to get out of any work here, but it just seems that the 2 SA circuit requirement for such a small footprint is way overkill. I was wondering if there was any exceptions to this rule? I can't envision a situation in which I could cram enough countertop appliances into such a small counterspace that would even begin overload one SA circuit.

Has anybody else run into a similar situation? Curious how you handled it if you did. Maybe I just call it something besides a "kitchenette", like the "ultimate wet bar", but that would be disingenuous.

Many thanks!!

Frank Borik

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If the area meets the definition of a kitchen then you will need 2 small appliance branch circuit's. Sounds like you need it anyway

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for
food preparation and cooking.

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Here is the definition of a kitchen.

Kitchen. An area with a sink and permanent provisions for food preparation and cooking.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jksmith82

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Sorry... you included that Dennis.

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I once had a similar application for a kitchen that had a small oven and 12" counter. Requirement was then (1976) for two SABC for a counter 12" or more. It was exactly 12". I put in 2 circuits. I suspect today they have added a microwave oven.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
. . . so my current plan is to feed the refrigerator and one counter outlet with one SA circuit, and the other counter outlet with the other SA circuit.
There are three items needing power. I doubt that one circuit could handle all three. So if you are running two circuits anyway, and if they are going to this location and nowhere else, and if you use 20 amp circuits, then what you have is going to be two SA circuits. I don't see any issue here.

Welcome to the forum.

kwired

Electron manager
Microwave ovens have been argued both ways as to whether or not they are permanent provisions for cooking. So far usually they are usually not deemed permanent provisions for cooking, though there is plenty of argument for them to be considered.

The induction plate - if a counter top type appliance and not something that has a dedicated space like a range or cooktop or oven typically has - usually not going to be considered permanent provisions for cooking either.

I think most will call this space a wet bar and not a kitchen.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Microwave ovens have been argued both ways as to whether or not they are permanent provisions for cooking. So far usually they are usually not deemed permanent provisions for cooking, though there is plenty of argument for them to be considered.

The induction plate - if a counter top type appliance and not something that has a dedicated space like a range or cooktop or oven typically has - usually not going to be considered permanent provisions for cooking either.

I think most will call this space a wet bar and not a kitchen.

While that may be true, in many areas a built in microwave was deemed permanent

Adamjamma

S as I understand the one reply, it is not a kitchen if it is just a counter and a fridge and a sink... no other appliances... so if you add a microwave later still not a kitchen as long as microwave not built in...

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
S as I understand the one reply, it is not a kitchen if it is just a counter and a fridge and a sink... no other appliances... so if you add a microwave later still not a kitchen as long as microwave not built in...

It depends on the inspectors interpretation of a kitchen. As stated earlier some inspectors may not consider a built in mw as a permanent means of cooking but it sure is, IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.