Small Appliance Circuits-Residential Dwelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Small Appliance Circuits-Residential Dwelling

Originally posted by aelectricalman:
Going back alittle bit. Someone said that some manufactures require their microwaves to be on dedicated circuits. Since when are they a code enforcement bodies?
aelectricalman if the instructions are part of the UL listing and labeling we must follow those instructions.

Take a look at 110.3(B)

Now if it was only more clear which instructions are part of the listing.....

[ February 20, 2005, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: iwire ]

aelectricalman

Im not agrueing that. UL listings yes, instructions, no. :D

[ February 20, 2005, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: aelectricalman ]

aelectricalman

Thanks. I actually read that at one time, but I had forgotten. Thanks for pointing it out to me.

DK34

210.23(A)2 States fastened in place equipment shall not exceed 50% of the Branch circuit. A wall mounted micro would be more than 50% of the SA circuit.

apauling

there are quite a few small counter top micros on the market that draw under 1000 watts. otherwise agree with sa restrictions for fastened in place micros. do not agree that cord and plug appliances that are not built in are controlled by NEC. "built in" can probably be argued to not mean clothes washers, but after the fact use of counter top appliances is beyond the scope and control of most electricians, inspectors and builders.

there are apartment style clothes washers that are meant to be hooked up to sink. I can only see a problem where a "controlled" appliance outlet is indicated on the plans where the small appliance outlets are. But what is the solution?

The clothes washer is after market and is not controlled. The micro, if indicated on the plans would have to have it's own circuit, and be gfci protected. Would it also require a single receptacle if it is not built in?

i thought i was clear when i started typing this, and was just going to delete it, but why not send?

paul :)

pierre

DK34
210.23(A)(2) Utilization equipment Fastened in Place.

The requirements include the equipment and other equipment or lighting that is also supplied by the same branch circuit.

The wall mounted microwave is not to be supplied by the SA branch circuit.

[ February 20, 2005, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: pierre ]

apauling

since your are quoting out of context, i will reference the context. (plans indicate appliance circuit ((microwave)) at counter top plug location) A dedicated outlet that was installed as a counter top plug, would have to have gfci protection as a countertop plug. It is accessible and whether a single or double could be used for any corded appliance. That was the question I raised, mostly for comment, what else applies here??

paul :)

hurk27

I agree Paul as there is no exception for dedicated space in 210.8(A)(6) If the receptacle serves the counter top spaces it must be GFCI protected. Remember a exception will follow the section that it pertains to.

Status
Not open for further replies.