Small conduit routing in existing floor slab

AmyPDesigner

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Hi, We have a job where we have just a few small (1-2" RGS) conduits getting routed to equipment in the center of a warehouse floor coming from an MCC in another section. My question is would you route the conduits in a trench from the wall or overhead dropping from ceiling? If dropping do we need support on the drop if the drop is over 30 ft? If through the trench can someone advise how to go about that. Would we dig out the slab and under slab and install a Duratrench ? Since it's fairly small can we just dig out a few inches of the slab? Will that then be NEC compliant? Since forklifts may be going over this will a small cover sealed be strong enough?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Welcome to the forum.

There is no one best answer. It depends on the cost and physical difficulty of each option.

I am not sure about overhead drop limits, but I would support them with strut or similar.

Conduits may be embedded within the thickness of the slab, and covered with concrete.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Saw cut the concrete to the proper depth and chop out a chase wide enough for the raceway. Then patch with concrete. As Larry mentioned the chase only needs to be deep enough to cover the raceway with the patch.

AmyPDesigner

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Welcome to the forum.

There is no one best answer. It depends on the cost and physical difficulty of each option.

I am not sure about overhead drop limits, but I would support them with strut or similar.

Conduits may be embedded within the thickness of the slab, and covered with concrete.
Thank you, agreed each option has it's drawbacks. Thank you for your insight.

AmyPDesigner

Occupation
Electrical Designer
Saw cut the concrete to the proper depth and chop out a chase wide enough for the raceway. Then patch with concrete. As Larry mentioned the chase only needs to be deep enough to cover the raceway with the patch.
Thank you for your insight. I think this clarifies for me the best option in this case.