Small current on service ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sprke

I have recently finished a small retail store that has a 600 amp single phase service. I have a CT cabinet that goes into a service disconnect which feeds a 600 amp main panel. The main panel has a 200 amp breaker in it that feeds another sub panel.

The inspector came and did a final inspection and he tried to test the grounding system. He's saying that his tester failed to complete the test and it showed an error code and that code means there is voltage or current on the ground and that there's a problem somewhere. I have a ufer ground and a building steel ground, nothing to water line as its plastic. All GECs terminate back to disconnect where the neutral and ground are bonded together. From there to panels its 4 wire with ground and neutrals isolated. I went to job and double checked everything and it's all wired correct, there is no voltage on the ground and my clamp on amp meter shows .5-.7 amps on the GECs. Is this normal? I guess I'm questioning this inspector and his new "toy". I think he just got it. Please let me know of any ideas or things I should check. Thanks!

102 Inspector

Occupation
Inspector- All facets
Have the inspector check his new toys. I did an inspection once and found no grounding. I later found out the tester had a sliding grounding pin that allowed it to be used on non-grounded receptacles also. Pin was not extended far enough to perform proper test. I felt like an idiot when I figured that out.

david

The inspector came and did a final inspection and he tried to test the grounding system. He's saying that his tester failed to complete the test and it showed an error code and that code means there is voltage or current on the ground and that there's a problem somewhere. ...................I went to job and double checked everything and it's all wired correct,.......................

I would not be surprised if a neutral in a rec device or switch device is touching an equipment ground you would get a current indication on the grounding system. You must have been there awhile inspecting each device or removing the neutral for each branch circuit one at a time to determine if you have neutral to equipment ground contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.