Small Job Estimating....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Billable hours...

Billable hours...

Now, back to billable hours...

You said $250 per billable hour.

I go and get material... not billable.
Tech gets paid 8 hours regardless of billable / not billable...

Is that your point? We have to raise our prices to cover that type of overhead?

Thanks,
Greg

emahler

Greg Swartz said:
Now, back to billable hours...

You said $250 per billable hour.

I go and get material... not billable.
Tech gets paid 8 hours regardless of billable / not billable...

Is that your point? We have to raise our prices to cover that type of overhead?

Thanks,
Greg

exactly right

emahler

Greg Swartz said:
Another job I bid at $12,000 I walked away with $7,000 profit. It was great, and the next lowest contractor was over $20,000. Had I have known, I would have charged $16,000...

define "profit"....i am assuming from this statement that you had $5000 in material

celtic

emahler said:
huh? please explain

no prices on the website.

I already said:
I guess asking how much for the "experience" is considered vulgar.....but got no response ....

If you're gonna buy me dinner, you should at least tell me the price range so I don't over/under dress :)

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
celtic said:
I guess asking the price for the "experience" would be considered vulgar.

emahler said:
nope...morton's prints all their prices...no surprises...like flat rate.

celtic said:

I already said:
I guess asking how much for the "experience" is considered vulgar.....but got no response ....

If you're gonna buy me dinner, you should at least tell me the price range so I don't over/under dress :)

You got a response.

OK, so no surprises AFTER you ate your dinner, but no warning before you show up to the restaurant.

If you show up to a customer's house, and tell them how much the GOOD steak is, you aren't really surprising them.

emahler

celtic said:

I already said:

the prices are on the menu ;)

not sure if anyone with tattoos and a pocket protector can even clean up enough for a place like that :D

celtic

emahler said:
the prices are on the menu ;)

not sure if anyone with tattoos and a pocket protector can even clean up enough for a place like that :D

Each can be cleverly disguised .... tat's and long sleeve shirt: what tat's; pocket protector?...well, I won't be needing my pen to sign the bill :)

emahler

celtic said:
Each can be cleverly disguised .... tat's and long sleeve shirt: what tat's; pocket protector?...well, I won't be needing my pen to sign the bill :)

in that case, dinner for two...$200 +alchohol...last time we went to morton's, 3 of us...$325 for food, $780 for wine...glad I was not signing the CC receipt that night:D (the plumber picked up the tab without a sweat...seriously)

emahler

celtic said:
It's been awhile since my "beverage" tab was higher than food....but when in Rome ...

last time I was in vegas (18 months ago, before my son) we went to the steakhouse at circus circus. 6 of us, food was about $200 (one of the few places i have ever found that actually offers 5 star food and service at a 3 star price) and our bar tab was $1400...give or take a dollar:D

not anymore though...least for a little while:)

emahler

but back on topic...you can't enjoy dinners like these without budgeting for them...and your customer has to pay for them.

In Denver, there is an awesome restaurant called the Buckhorn Exchange. Neat building, great service, menu full of Bison, Elk, other wild game. Dinner for two will set you back $300 easily.

Billing out at $48/hr, after all costs (you know, overhead) you may take a personal hourly rate of $18-20/hr. before taxes. So, $15-$17/hr after taxes.

How can you go out and enjoy a dinner at Buckhorn knowing that you have to work 20 hrs just to pay for the dinner. Takes the enjoyment out of it.

celtic

..going on 7 years now...watch out for those kiddie parties, some parents don't understand the party is not for them LOL

emahler

celtic said:
If the Bill is diapers and formula...(no disrepect to anyone intended)

no, the diapers and formula just create big bills...

thank the lord, he'll be on regular milk in the next few weeks...i'm buying stock in oil and formula companies:D

now, unfortunately my parents already found out that he likes salmon and lobster...sons'a'bitches...

celtic

Was he on the "good stuff" ? (Alumentum or Nutramagen - spelling is definitely off)

Both my kids had "acid reflux" ....what a PITA - for THEM.

emahler

celtic said:
Was he on the "good stuff" ? (Alumentum or Nutramagen - spelling is definitely off)

Both my kids had "acid reflux" ....what a PITA - for THEM.

thank the lord no...he really liked the Similac Lactose Free Soy...ready to drink, case of 6 quarts, $26 at BJ's...wasn't bad at all.

celtic

That's a bargin...the "good stuff" was like $8 a bottle(3 bottles a day), no cases anywhere, local stores ran out every 2 days....I could deal with the price and hassle ...but the kids...geeze....one spent the first 6 months sleeping upright in the car seat/carrier thing...no wonder she cried.

Status
Not open for further replies.