Smart Home vs. Electrical Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctroyp

Can anyone explain or identify the exact threshold when installing home automation equipment? That is, how far can a non-licensed electrical contractor(installing "low-voltage" HA equipment) go until he can get into trouble? For example, when installing a flush mounted x-10 dimmer module into the existing 120V circuit. Or, for another, powering a controller beside the service panel. I have 12 years experience as an electrician and was recently grandfathered to a Master electrician. Also, I am in the process of preparing to take my electrical contractors test, but it will be a few months--not to mention if I even pass. I have recently established a business for installing Smart Home equipment and would like to continue working. Any advice/help appreciated... :)

jro

Re: Smart Home vs. Electrical Installation

You are already in trouble, there is no such thing as an unlicensed electrical contractor, you are violating city, and state laws by not registering your company in the state you are conducting business. You are doing what is called, bootleg work, it may be wise to register your business. Remember, Uncle Sam wants his tax money from sales, and income. :eek:

pierre

Hello Troy

PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE! I know you probably do not want to hear this, but...
I know that you are taking your test in two months or so,what you might do is this (I will probably get clobbered for it). Contact another contractor who might help you out with this. If not, get things organized, study real hard and Good Luck.
You will be surprised how fast the time actually goes. Also you will realize how valuable your license is once you get it.

Pierre

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor

AS JRO mentioned you should be a licensed and (I might add) FULLY INSURED electrical contractor before you do any electrical work for the general public. You can do all the electrical work you want to in your own home but you should not be contracting business with anyone else without a license and insurance.

I'm sure it's a long shot and I know you have 12 years "time in trade" but if any of the devices you're installing should cause a fire - you were the last one on the job. You could be subject to fines and a personal lawsuit. Just my opinion but I think the liability is greater than what the job is worth.

ctroyp

By saying
non-licensed electrical contractor
I meant to say, Low-voltage contractor. I have registered this business for installing low-voltage equipment like landscape lighting and other non-electrical work. Thanks to all the replies.

jro

In this case you should sub-contract any electrical work you come across, just be sure the sub is a registered electrical contractor, with liability insurance, and whatever other bonds, permits, etc., the city or state you conduct business in requires.

[ July 03, 2003, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: jro ]

Status
Not open for further replies.