SmartShield Nail Guard

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Anyone ever use these instead of the old school nail on plates that bulge out the Sheetrock?

61-apdiTK3S._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Buck Parrish

I have not , but I like the look. It would be nice if they were a full 2 inches giving you a 1/4 inch extra on each side of the 2x4.

nizak

They look nice. I usually end up using nail plates on holes that end up in really difficult spots like stacked 2x4 corners and angled holes.

Buck Parrish

We used to have a couple inspectors that if the wire was to close to th edge of the wood. They would make us use two nail guards on one 2x4 stud. They wanted it over the wire even if their was no wood there.

macmikeman

I am almost willing to bet the next code cycle or so they will mandate the thing extend at least two inches past the wood on both sides................
And it will just be "because".

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I bought fifty of them a few years ago and they're in my basement right now.

They require a 1-inch hole, which was bigger than I expected it to need. I just don't drill holes that size, to fill it with a steel tube.

And I'm with @Buck Parrish that it would seem to be a lot more effective if they extended a quarter-inch past the stud.

Then, what to do about a 3 or 4 stack of studs? Try cutting off the spears?

I'm sure they have a good place, especially in places looking for level 5 finish so you're not adding a lump on the outside of the stud

Last edited: