Smoke alarm??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jahilliard

I received a call today from a customer explaining that randomly all his smoke detectors went Ito alarm. Said it's happened a few times in the past 24 hrs...no smoke present and new batteries have been installed recently....any suggestions??

John120/240

Dust, spiders, & cobwebs can all fool the sensor. The easiest soultion is get out your vaccum

& clean the smoke detectors. If the dectecors are 10 years old, it is time to replace them

anyway.

dala

I was told by a rep. at Kidde that variances in voltage, spikes and drops, will set off the alarms. All they could suggest was to disconnect the a/c power and have them working by battery only and see if they still false alarm.

proguy

I had the same problem last year. Three differentcustomers called several days in a row. It was warm with windows open. Middle of the night fog rolled in and the humidty set them off. Guilty unit will flash a red light every 10-20 seconds.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I had the same problem last year. Three differentcustomers called several days in a row. It was warm with windows open. Middle of the night fog rolled in and the humidty set them off. Guilty unit will flash a red light every 10-20 seconds.

This is also why the installation instructions will tell you to keep at least 3 feet away from a bathroom door. Had a customer complain that everytime her son took a shower, the smoke detector would go off. Turns out he would crack the door to let out the steam while he showered! She looked like she didn't believe me when I was done, but oh well!

Status
Not open for further replies.