Smoke alarms & Carbon monoxide detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDB3

I am currently working on a plan that shows Smoke Alarms & Carbon monoxide detectors {2 separate units} outside of the sleeping areas. Normally I just install a combination of the two.

My questions are: should they be wired together, would they communicate with each other?

The general contractor furnishes the units, so I am certain, that he will be asking me about this.

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am currently working on a plan that shows Smoke Alarms & Carbon monoxide detectors {2 separate units} outside of the sleeping areas. Normally I just install a combination of the two.

My questions are: should they be wired together, would they communicate with each other?

The general contractor furnishes the units, so I am certain, that he will be asking me about this.

Thanks

We always install a combo unit. Talk to the general contractor and make sure he gets a combo unit otherwise you will have 2 units in the ceiling and it is unsigthly. If they go that route then the carbon detector can be a stand alone unit. I have not seen a stand alone carbon unit so I don't know if they can be interconnected. Run a 3 wire cable to it and you're covered

iwire

Staff member
Here in MA we have a ton of dwelling unit smoke alarm / CO alarm requirements that in most case have to be applied when a home is sold.

COs have to be interconnected, but they can be stand alone from the interconnected smoke alarms.

Smoke alarms within 20' of a kitchen must be the photo electric type.

This often means there is a photo electric smoke alarm right beside a CO alarm.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/dfs/osfm/pubed/flyers/consumers-guide-w-sell-1-and-2-fam.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.