smoke alarms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
This is not an Nec issue however it is not required by the building company. It is possible that your area may have an amendment to the code that requires an individual circuit.

RICK NAPIER

2007 NFPA 72 11.6 does not require a dedicated circuit for household fire alarm systems but for other than household systems it is required 4.4.1.4.1

JDB3

One town in my area requires that smoke detectors in residences be on with a lighting circuit. Probably so the resident will not turn the circuit for the smokes off.

WIMaster

One town in my area requires that smoke detectors in residences be on with a lighting circuit. Probably so the resident will not turn the circuit for the smokes off.

I believe this is a good pratice as smokes usually won't tell you that they do not have AC power unlike a FA system beeping/flashing trouble.

John120/240

I believe this is a good pratice as smokes usually won't tell you that they do not have AC power unlike a FA system beeping/flashing trouble.

Required 120 V w/battery backup smoke dectors in new homes. If the smokes are on a

seperate circuit someone should notice the incessant chirping if 120 V power is lost. But nothing

protects from the Darwin principle if home owner removes the batteries.

hurk27

Required 120 V w/battery backup smoke dectors in new homes. If the smokes are on a

seperate circuit someone should notice the incessant chirping if 120 V power is lost. But nothing

protects from the Darwin principle if home owner removes the batteries.

E'rr is this something new??

I have 120/battery smokes in my house now and they only chirp when the 9 volt battery is dead? oh and they are not supplied by 120 volts just mounted to the ceiling running on battery only.

WIMaster

E'rr is this something new??

I have 120/battery smokes in my house now and they only chirp when the 9 volt battery is dead? oh and they are not supplied by 120 volts just mounted to the ceiling running on battery only.

I have the same setup with the exact same results.
The smokes have never chirped when I lost AC power due to me or the POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.