Smoke Detector in a laundry

Status
Not open for further replies.

mkgrady

I'm wiring a remodel that includes a kitchen two baths and a laundry. The laundry is a small closet inside one of the bathrooms. The Fire Department stamped the smoke detector symbols where you would expect but they also show a smoke detector in the laundry room. I have never seen this before. I don't see this requirement in the Mass regs. Anybody ever hear of this?

resistance

I'm wiring a remodel that includes a kitchen two baths and a laundry. The laundry is a small closet inside one of the bathrooms. The Fire Department stamped the smoke detector symbols where you would expect but they also show a smoke detector in the laundry room. I have never seen this before. I don't see this requirement in the Mass regs. Anybody ever hear of this?
Never seen it before, but in some cases the Fire Marshall will (and has) mandated fire related detector locations. As directed by some cities, I’ve had to call the fire marshall on two occasions. End result—in both cases--it took him too long to get back to me (over a week), so I consulted with the building department, and they normally will have the same information.

nhfire77

Have I ever heard of a code requiring a smoke in a laundry room? No.

Have I ever heard of a MA FD having fantasy requirements? Yes. Get a confirmation from the FD, they are god in MA, as I am sure you are aware, if you can't wait, put it in just in case

cowboyjwc

Staff member
I might see their point of view as it relates to dryer fires, but if it's in a small closet inside of a bathroom, I would think that you might have troubles with false alarms due to the steam. I've seen it even with smokes in the hallway of a small apartment.

nhfire77

Yep. If this is a single family dwelling, it's a waste, the home owner will take it down after the first false alarm. Now a heat, whether this is on smoke alarm circuit, or a lv fire alarm system, I'd be all for it.

FD's need to realize more isn't always better, smarter is.

mkgrady

Yep. If this is a single family dwelling, it's a waste, the home owner will take it down after the first false alarm. Now a heat, whether this is on smoke alarm circuit, or a lv fire alarm system, I'd be all for it.

FD's need to realize more isn't always better, smarter is.

Does a heat detector make sense?

renosteinke

The usual 'ionization' type smoke detector isn't likely to trip from steam. If the room is that moist, long-term corrosion might be an issue. Of course, the mechanical code requires such an area to have plenty of ventilation, etc ... so that ought not be an issue.

More on point .... doesn't MA require CO detectors? Is this a gas dryer? Maybe that's what he's asking for. (I'm not saying I agree, but that might be what he was thinking).

"Closet." Got to love that word. I've seen closets I could ride a bike in. While we tend to focus on 'habitable rooms,' it's not unusual for mechanical spaces to get alarms.

eprice

NFPA 72, Section 11.8.3.5 (5) prohibits installation of smoke detectors within 3' of a door leading to a bathroom with a shower or a tub. My copy of NFPA 72 is a bit out dated (2002 edition), but I don't think that has changed. I suspect this same prohibition will be found in the smoke detector installation instructions.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
NFPA 72, Section 11.8.3.5 (5) prohibits installation of smoke detectors within 3' of a door leading to a bathroom with a shower or a tub. My copy of NFPA 72 is a bit out dated (2002 edition), but I don't think that has changed. I suspect this same prohibition will be found in the smoke detector installation instructions.

Wait, You mean I might have been right for once? HAPPY DANCE!!!:rotflmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.