Smoke detector Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

adizzle808

I have two smoke detectors out of 6 or 6 that seems to go through batteries faster than any of the others. These 2 go through batteries about every 2 months. the house was built in 2010 and all of the detectors are hard wired. Does anyone know why these two use up batteries so fast?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I can only think that you have a bad batch of batteries or they have been sitting around.

I am allowing this post simply because it is not a how to..

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I can only think that you have a bad batch of batteries or they have been sitting around.

I am allowing this post simply because it is not a how to..

If the detectors are the exact same model, try switching them with detectors in another part of the house. If the same detectors use batteries fast (with a brand new stock of batteries from the store) then there is something wrong with the detectors. If not, then there may be something about the location that is causing the alarm to come near to tripping and use more current in the process.
Also make sure that the batteries you are using are actually alkaline rather then "heavy duty" carbon zinc types, which will have a much shorter life.

Status
Not open for further replies.