Smoke detectors in an electric room for a parking structure(7 stories, outdoor)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holeinone

Hi all! i am being told by my fire alarm design team that smoke detectors are no longer required in electric rooms. This particular application is a parking structure electric room that also house the shunt trip relays for the elevator. Seems to me that a smoke detector is required?! We are going by 2010 code fyi....anyone know any different on this subject? Thanks in advance.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Hi all! i am being told by my fire alarm design team that smoke detectors are no longer required in electric rooms. This particular application is a parking structure electric room that also house the shunt trip relays for the elevator. Seems to me that a smoke detector is required?! We are going by 2010 code fyi....anyone know any different on this subject? Thanks in advance.

As far as I know, electrical rooms never required smoke detectors. You use the terminology, "relays", but do you mean shunt trip breakers? If the rooms houses electrical equipment for the elevator, then it isn't an electrical room it is an elevator equipment rooms and the elevator codes I am familiar with don't allow electrical equipment not associated with the elevator in that room. Any means of stopping the elevator I have every seen is incorporated with the elevator controls and not a shunt trip. Why would it be associated with a shunt trip? all you have to do is deenergize the coil?

Holeinone

Strathead

Strathead

By code(NFPA 72 2010 21.2.4) the shunt trip control device and relay have to be within 3' of the shunt trip device, which always puts it in the electric room with the gear in my experience(fire alarm control relay and power monitor). I am reading that a smoke is not required in various articles, I just wondered what section of code, if any, clearly states that it is not needed. :?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
By code(NFPA 72 2010 21.2.4) the shunt trip control device and relay have to be within 3' of the shunt trip device, which always puts it in the electric room with the gear in my experience(fire alarm control relay and power monitor). I am reading that a smoke is not required in various articles, I just wondered what section of code, if any, clearly states that it is not needed. :?
Hard to find such section if instead it simply is not required by any section.

Status
Not open for further replies.