smoke detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie

Re: smoke detectors

My first thought is that this is only for a total security/fire alarm system but I have changed my mind. I think the answer is that it does include the dwelling unit smoke detectors. :D

II. Non?Power-Limited Fire Alarm (NPLFA) Circuits

760.21 NPLFA Circuit Power Source Requirements.
The power source of non?power-limited fire alarm circuits shall comply with Chapters 1 through 4, and the output voltage shall not be more than 600 volts, nominal. These circuits shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters.

FPN: See 210.8(A)(5), Exception No. 3, for receptacles in dwelling-unit unfinished basements that supply power for fire alarm systems.

rcarroll

Charlie, I'm not sure I can agree with you. To me the outlet in an unfinished basement usually supplies a control panel that monitors the detectors throughout the house as well as security. IMO if the 120V smoke detectors are supplied through a breaker, then the AFCI REQ

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

I have reviewed the 2005 NEC ROP and ROC, the intent is for dwelling unit bedroom smoke detectors to be supllied from the AFCI. A dwelling unit smoke detector is a single station unit and not a fire alarm system.

paul renshaw

760.21 NPLFA Circuit Power Source Requirements. The power source of non?power-limited fire alarm circuits shall comply with Chapters 1 through 4, and the output voltage shall not be more than 600 volts, nominal. These circuits shall not be supplied through ground-fault circuit interrupters or arc-fault circuit interrupters.

FPN: See 210.8(A)(5), Exception No. 3, for receptacles in dwelling-unit unfinished basements that supply power for fire alarm systems

The text in the first paragraph says fire alarm circuits, not systems.

websparky

Here is the 2000 NFPA 72 for Households

11.1.1* The performance, selection, installation, operation, and use of single- and multiple-station alarms and household fire alarm systems shall comply with the requirements of this chapter.
11.6.3 AC Primary Power Source. The ac power source shall comply with the following conditions:
(5) Operation of a switch (other than a circuit breaker) or a ground-fault circuit-interrupter shall not cause loss of primary (main) power.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Paul,
760.1 Scope.
This article covers the installation of wiring and equipment of fire alarm systems including all circuits controlled and powered by the fire alarm system.
No matter what the wording says in the various sections of Article 760, the scope limits the application of these rules to "fire alarm systems".
Don

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

I guess all the smoke detectors in a house, even though interconnected, do not meet the definition a "fire alarm system" as far as the NEC is concerned.
That is my understanding of NFPA 72.
Don

gndrod

Paul,

In a recent conversation with the NFPA electrical engineering support Richard Roux, he explained the difference of interpreting Article 760 that pertains to Fire Alarm Systems and circuits controlled and powered by fire alarm systems.

In residential, 760 "no AFCI or GFCI" only applies if there is a fire alarm system that is a 12V fed circuit to the detector-alarms. This is common for custom security intrusion and fire safety systems that are not AFCI, GFCI powered. [760.21]
Note that 210.12 specifies 125V (2002) and 120 V (2005) line supply as the AFCI requirement in bedrooms.

The AFCI does not apply to the controlled fire alarm system that is 12 VAC and sometimes located in an unfinished basement that requires a GFCI receptacle, hence the FPN: reference to 210.8(A)(5)Exception No.3*

*Added

rbj, Seattle

[ December 14, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: gndrod ]

Status
Not open for further replies.