Smoke/Heat Detector in HVAC Room

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean.Day72

I have a mechanical room with a sprinkler head, Exhaust Fan, and Air Handler in it. There are already duct detectors on supply side to prevent the propagation of smoke to other areas of the building. What is the requirement of initiation devices in the room itself? Should a smoke detector or heat detector be used in this scenario? I couldn't locate this in NFPA 72 or 90A.

Thanks

ron

Depending on the building occupancy type, you typically go to the adopted Building code or fire code to determine if smoke detection is required and where.

For example, if your jurisdiction adopted the International Building Code and you were working in a Group R-2 College and University Type Building, you would go to the International Building Code Section 907, more specifically for that group type 907.2.9.3 and see that Mechanical Equipment Rooms require smoke detection. https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/I...and-life-safety-systems#IBC2018P4_Ch09_Sec907

BTW, if your jurisdiction adopted the International Mechanical Code, Section 606.2 says to put the duct detector on the return side of the air handler. Some people think the NFPA 90A is the reference, but it is not adopted in many places, so they get misled.

Sean.Day72

The HVAC room is in a "open" Parking Garage that is unsprinkeld throughout. I just spoke to the mechanical designer, the only thing in that room is an exhaust fan that runs 24/7 that circulates air to prevent carbon monoxide build up. I can't see why a smoke detector would be required.

I can see why you would want one in a school, dwelling, or healthcare facility mechanical/hvac room. This garage is just for airport parking and is detached for all other buildings.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
The HVAC room is in a "open" Parking Garage that is unsprinkeld throughout. I just spoke to the mechanical designer, the only thing in that room is an exhaust fan that runs 24/7 that circulates air to prevent carbon monoxide build up. I can't see why a smoke detector would be required.

I can see why you would want one in a school, dwelling, or healthcare facility mechanical/hvac room. This garage is just for airport parking and is detached for all other buildings.
There is a fair chance that it's not required. However, you should pay attention to the contract documents and specifications. Also, airports may have their own installation guidelines that go beyond local codes and are in force whether mentioned in the contract documents or not.

Fire Pro

Occupation
Owner/CEO of Fire Pro
Generally speaking, if there is a sprinkler head, there shouldn't be a detector in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.