Snap switches for general illumation

Status
Not open for further replies.

rminnick

Snap switches for general illumation? Does the NEC specify how far you can enter into a room before turning on the lights? If so , I would like that code reference. Thank you.

cpal

Re: Snap switches for general illumation

90.1 (C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or an instruction manual for untrained persons.

210.70 has provisions for switched lighting outlets.

But I'm not aware of specific requirments of where to locate a switch.

I suspect you are talking about dwellings??

Anyone else??

Charlie

physis

These are the codes I found:

210.70(A)(2)(C)
210.70(A)(3)
210.70(C)

Not very specific about location.

rminnick

The locaol building inspector says that because there is a door in the middle of the wall and the rest of the wall on each side of the door is fixed glass, he says that the people can walk 12 feet to the closest wall to turn on the lights instead of making the builder put a space on each of the door for switches. This is a dwelling and it proceeds outside at grade level.

charlie

The Code doesn't have many requirements for the locations of the lighting switches. Generally, you may control most of the lights from one location in the home if you want to do it that way. I have even seen a bathroom light switch on the outside of the bathroom. :D

physis

We have a local energy code here that used to dictate that the first switch as you enter a kitchen or bath would turn on a flourescent. My point is, it might be a local code, if not, I don't think the NEC specifies where a switch goes.

Oh, I left out this one, it's my favorite.

210.70(A)(1) Ex. 2

It uses the term "customary wall switch location". I just love that. :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Very likely a local code.

Man, I'm starting to sound like Earl. In Cheyenne, they require any entrance to a house to have a switch to turn on a light on the interior. WY code. As a result, extra threeways are figured into house plans when we bid them for WY.

allenwayne

A very common misconception is that an exterior door must have a switch located there,The NEC requires illumination there but the switch can be anywhere.Good wiring practice IMHO would have a switch located at each doorway but as far as the NEC goes it is not required,

electricmanscott

As stated probably a local code. I would try to find something official in writing rather that relying on what someone may tell you.

physis

There's a single gang mountable motion sensor/light switch you could use there but I only like those for bathrooms and garages because they tend to be a bit of a pain anywhere else.

There is no Art. that I know of as a mater of fact the switch can even be behind the door for there is no code Art. taht says it can't.

paul

I'm a huge fan of the Clapper. I install them in most all houses. Keeps the walls clean looking, without those cumbersome, ugly switches. Clap on, clap off. Slicker than snot. :cool:

physis

I'll tell you what I would like. Intermatic makes a $30.00 timer that's a lot like that single gang motion sensor. If somebody could take the better attributes of those two devices and put them into one, that would be a useful product.

The timer can be manually actuated by simply smacking the thing. The sensor has tiny stupid little buttons under a peice of plastic, pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies.