So...How's it going?

Status
Not open for further replies.

boltneck

No, you need to learn Spanish and go stand in their parking lot!
11.gif

anybody ever use those guys
i thought about gettin some for backfilling a trenching job awhile back,but didnt
and they are only at the orange for some reason, never seen any at the blue

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
We've got a lot in the woods; there are weeks where I wonder what I could possibly do to fill 40 hours Monday morning, and when Friday rolls around somehow I did. It would be really nice if that big job in the woods would come out of the woods (twelve more days to find out) so I could feel comfortable about work again.

I better get used to working, because dabbling in real estate has lost me $90,000. (Those guys at the bank are suckers, though - I never had the $90k in the first place, so they can't get me down. ;) )

Such a weird time right now.

Ohmy

I know what you mean. It feels slow...but we are in overtime every week since Feb. Folks are still spending, we just work harder to get them and keep em then ever before.

Everyday is a battle and every month....a victory.

Karl H

Still slow here. We picked up a couple new projects,but nothing
larger than 100K. Service is picking up some due to companies trying
to do in house electrical. Some companies are now starting to learn
that just because you can change a lamp,that dosen't make you
a electrician. I've seen an increase in shoddy hack jobs in the past
five months. When this all settles we are all gonna be very busy.
I predict a lot of "Spot the Violation" posts in the future.

GUNNING

Ive started to run across the hack jobs too. Got more last week than all last year. Looking forward to the challenge. Things are picking up here but its the begining of summer. Looks like its trying to be a normal year here, except for the university and state cutting their budgets and the locals starting to have ticket quotas.
I reduced my hourly rates trying to find the demand supply curve again. I think Ive found the curve but not sure about wanting to go that low.:cool:

cschmid

We've got a lot in the woods; there are weeks where I wonder what I could possibly do to fill 40 hours Monday morning, and when Friday rolls around somehow I did. It would be really nice if that big job in the woods would come out of the woods (twelve more days to find out) so I could feel comfortable about work again.

I better get used to working, because dabbling in real estate has lost me $90,000. (Those guys at the bank are suckers, though - I never had the $90k in the first place, so they can't get me down. ;) )

Such a weird time right now.

wow I thought breaking even was losing cash..It will take several years to make the cash back of our realestate deals. renting is even wierder then normal, more slow pays then normal and more I will work for rent proposals as well.. But I am still smiling as I am better of then GMC..:D

The need for perfect grammer only arrises when you are in ????????

Last edited:

powerslave

We've been slow but steady. It's picked up a bit since last weekend, hopefully it keeps up. We've come to understand that this is just going to be a year of survival and have no higher expectations.

The good news....my house is getting painted finally. The bad news...I am doing it. Don't you guys just hate DIY's. ;)

I'm doing the same thing.

kelley

Occupation
Estimator
We are down to 2 men in the field, me and a helper from 7 guys. Boss is chasing anything and everything to keep us busy. so far it has worked. We havent had a short week yet. Just started a big fire alarm job that will keep us busy for a week or so.

Kelley

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
A friend of mine is the chief electrical engineer for an Engineering News Record magazine top 500 design firm and they are working 70 to 80 hour weeks to get project drawings out the door. A lot of it is related to the federal stimulus money.

electricmanscott

A friend of mine is the chief electrical engineer for an Engineering News Record magazine top 500 design firm and they are working 70 to 80 hour weeks to get project drawings out the door. A lot of it is related to the federal stimulus money.

I hope that takes the pressure of us little guys. Part of the problem are all the "out of work guys" competeing for what little work there is. Hopefully some larger projects start to get rolling and that will take the scavengers out of the picture.

When all is said and done this will end up as a major shakeup for the local contractors. What I am seeing now, it's actually happened to me personally, is Gc's throwing loyal and long term relationships out the window and hiring the cheapest guys available. This gets them work and I understand that. Once things pick up and these guys see just how difficult it really is to make a legitimate go of it many will find a "job" and disapear. This will leave room for guys like me to pick up the slack and carry through the next up cycle. As I have said all along it's just a matter of who is left standing. I intend to be standing.

aprentice1982

Where is the shovel ready projects

Where is the shovel ready projects

Where are they where are they and when will I be hired for them.....lol or did they have the shovels already in them already

Status
Not open for further replies.