Socket extenders for lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmikeman

What do you guys think about those things? Safe or what? I have a customer with exterior canister sconce lights around her house that wants to bring the lamps down closer to the opening of the fixture - resulting in better light spread than present situation. Instantly I thought about socket extenders, the ceramic type, might need to screw two of them in series , or one and change lamps to long necks to achieve the desired result. I don't want to start a fire however, and for me socket extenders are an untried item in my grand travels thru the electrical universe. How about it? On the surface they seem ok, at least the ceramic ones, but......

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I would say the worst thing would be you might lose the connection in one of the sockets. Like when bulbs are screwed in too tight and the copper/brass tab gets pushed up too far for the bulb to make good contact. This could happen between the extenders. Customer might think the bulb is blown when it's actually bad contact between the extenders.

This is just thinking of possible problems. But if care is taken when screwing in the extenders I don't think you will have a problem.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
We use them on H99ICT cans because you can then use a 50 watt bulb. Without the extender you are limited to 40 watt however with LED it is not so much of an issue

Status
Not open for further replies.