Soft 11 and 13 gauge copper wire?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
There was a huge push in the PIs for the 2023 code to permit 14 AWG copper clad aluminum on 10 amp branch circuits. I believe that some of the proposals to permit that were accepted at the committee meetings. Not sure if they will pass ballot and show up in the first revision report.

Where can you use 10A branch circuits?? Are they going to allow them with CCA #14 just because it's cheaper?? Wow, talk about going down hill.

-Hal

James L

Occupation
Electrician
Where can you use 10A branch circuits?? Are they going to allow them with CCA #14 just because it's cheaper?? Wow, talk about going down hill.

-Hal
Gas furnace has about a 4 or 5 amp blower.
Alarm systems are miniscule.
There are a few places it would work, but I can't imagine it

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I could see LED lighting and various dedicated loads being served by 10A or even 5A circuits.

Unfortunately moving to small circuits circuits doesn't change the labor cost of actually running the cable, and the cost of the additional AFCIs.....

In fact the resource savings of moving to small circuits would probably be offset by the additional AFCI power consumption.

-Jon

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I think the point is they are inventing 10A branch circuits just so #14CCA can be used. That's just to save new resi contractors, who already pay their EC subs nothing, some money. :censored:

There was a huge push in the PIs for the 2023 code to permit 14 AWG copper clad aluminum

Does the NEC have a huge sign out front that says "anything for a price"? Seems like all these special interests know getting it written into code is their ticket to fortune.

-Hal

kwired

Electron manager
I think the point is they are inventing 10A branch circuits just so #14CCA can be used. That's just to save new resi contractors, who already pay their EC subs nothing, some money. :censored:

Does the NEC have a huge sign out front that says "anything for a price"? Seems like all these special interests know getting it written into code is their ticket to fortune.

-Hal
I don't think it is NFPA or the CMP's taking the money, it is that those "special interests" have deep pockets and will spend a lot to convince the CMP's what they propose is a good thing and nobody is willing to go to the same extent to prove otherwise on those topics that come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.