Solar electric systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you use a solar electric system batteries to provide Emergency power for means of egress illumination and a backup heating system.

dereckbc

Staff member
Nate Scott said:
Can you use a solar electric system batteries to provide Emergency power for means of egress illumination and a backup heating system.
Certainly for lighting. Jjust keep in mind Solar applications demand deed cycle batteries meaning those that are designed with daily discharge cycles or multiple discharges from cradle to grave.

Heating? well no battery is idea for that as the KWh load is tremendous.

zog

Solar Powered Emergency lighting????

Solar Powered Emergency lighting????

I am not debating that this allowed but that sure sounds weird. Solar power for emergency lighting?!? Yeah, I know how the system works with the battery bank, I am just saying it sounds weird.

nakulak

seems like the system, at the very least, would need to be approved by a PE stating that it could provide the 90 min backup required for the emergency lighting ? and (even better) would be listed for the use ?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
dereckbc said:
Jjust keep in mind Solar applications demand deed cycle batteries meaning those that are designed with daily discharge cycles or multiple discharges from cradle to grave.
Of course, that doesn't mean that they must be deep-cycled, only that they are constructed to withstand such.

It is important to make sure the AH capacity is adequate for the emergency lighting during the deepest typical discharge.

Status
Not open for further replies.